The best way to lock down a bike or scooter

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have a nice bike (new schwinn) but am going to get a stella scooter, and neither of these do I want stolen by some theives. So what is the best way to secure a scooter or bycicle? I could spend up to $200.00 USD on security stuff.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    My favorite way was to get a cheap, used, fixed-gear road bike.

Nobody wanted to steal it.

Anyway, as some dude on this forum has had his bike stolen twice, despite the best locks, there's not a whole lot you can do. It might be kind of funny, though, if you sprayed some kind of bad-stuff on the parts where someone would grab if he were stealing the bike.

you know, like some kind of spray-on nerve gas like the kind Bruce Willis uses in "The Jackal."

• Reply 2 of 9
    gspottergspotter Posts: 342member
    You should also check how to lock the bike securely :

or just try this:

• Reply 3 of 9
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Determining how to lock the bike (including considering what kind of bike you will be locking up) really depends on what kind of neighborhoods you are going to be locking it up in.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    common mancommon man Posts: 522member
    I put a horse shoe lock through the frame and front weel and onto a secure rack. Then I put a second horse shoe lock between the frame and back wheel, assuming you have quick release wheels. Avoid chains as they are too easy to cut.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Buy a car and put the bike in it.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    neoneo Posts: 271member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

Buy a car and put the bike in it.

and watch as they both dissapear...

-Neø
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Don't lend it to me and you should be OK.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I read both of your stories of your bike being stolen. That really does suck, sounded like a really nice bike. After reading your stories, and since the scooter is a solid metal body, I am now considering electrifying it with a car battery when I leave it alone. Some idiotic theif (or innocent person) touches it *Zap!*
  • Reply 9 of 9
    On the real, Little Mouse, I´ve become something of an expert on keeping bicycles as safe as you can on the street. I´ve tried superstrong d-locks and sheathed cables and lost bikes (well, the same bike!)with both, although it was only the cable that was actually broken. Both are a matter of minutes with a cordless angle-grinder. A cable takes about 4 minutes, I think, a d-lock a minute or two longer.

My bike was stolen last time when the thief cut through the fence, not the lock. The fence was easier. I was in a hurry and I was careless. And here´s the lesson.

Lock it somewhere as safe as you can. Visible, light,with passers by, to something really secure.

With what? Well, I´ve gone back to a sheathed cable because it´s easier to carry (you just wrap it around your waist and ride), you can get it through the wheels more easily (actually really difficult with a good d-lock because they tend to be the smallest to prevent them being levered), you can secure your machine to lampposts and parking meters and whatnot, they´re quicker to put on and to put off, and because the rubber sheath is much, much kinder to the bike´s paint.

If you really love your bike, get something like the Kryptonite chain with the rubberised canvas sheath, which I think might take ten minutes with an angle grinder. It is however ridiculously heavy and cumbersome. But I say you might as well get a good sheathed cable, like the maximum-toughness one from Abus, and exercise paranoid caution everytime you get off.