Powerbook won't sleep

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a concern regarding my powerbook and scheduling it too sleep. I usually run update at night through apple menu. But because I'm stuck in the stone age with dial-up connection, I schedule the computer to sleep before morning so the phone is free. However, I can't get the computer to sleep now. I can schedule it all I want, for weekday, anyday, that particular day, it won't sleep or shut down under the system pref's energy saver. Would appreciate some adivce. I checkd the date/time perference, it's up to date and time. And when I select sleep by istelf from apple menu or close the screen, it sleeps fine. Help! Also, if anyone might know, under the update window, it keeps telling me I need to update to iChat 2.1 I've downloaded it about 4 times now and it still tells me I need to update. Any thoughts on that? thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    durandaldurandal Posts: 277member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Meeces

I have a concern regarding my powerbook and scheduling it too sleep. I usually run update at night through apple menu. But because I'm stuck in the stone age with dial-up connection, I schedule the computer to sleep before morning so the phone is free. However, I can't get the computer to sleep now. I can schedule it all I want, for weekday, anyday, that particular day, it won't sleep or shut down under the system pref's energy saver. Would appreciate some adivce. I checkd the date/time perference, it's up to date and time. And when I select sleep by istelf from apple menu or close the screen, it sleeps fine. Help! Also, if anyone might know, under the update window, it keeps telling me I need to update to iChat 2.1 I've downloaded it about 4 times now and it still tells me I need to update. Any thoughts on that? thanks

Hi Meeces,

I'm not sure but regarding the sleeping issue, you might try to reset the PMU (Power Management Unit) of your Powerbook.

Sometimes this little sucker's settings get screwed up and that can result in weird behaviour. I can't tell you exactly what to do since you didn't provide the exact PB model you own. But you'll find some information here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449

WARNING: Resetting the PMU sets some preferences back to their defaults and will set the system clock back to 1.1.1970.

Greetings,

durandal
  • Reply 2 of 5
    meecesmeeces Posts: 160member
    It's a 17" 1.3 edition powerbook. And it won't sleep only through the schedule option of the energy saver preference. Otherwise, all is fine other than the stupid iChat thing.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Okay, so resetting PMU did not work , neither did zapping PRAM, repairing disk permissions, trying under a different account, or deleting the 'system preferences' under my home library folder to where it creates itself a new one. Out of ideas!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    jxfreakjxfreak Posts: 138member
    I had a similar experience with my PB. It wouldnt go to sleep at one time even with the lids closed, only after a minute would it go to sleep with the lid closed. I tried resetting the Power Management and deleting the PM file etc. The only way i fixed it was through reinstalling OSX.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Can you reinstall just preferences part of osx? That would be cool to not have to reinstall everything and then reupdate everything, I'm onto 10.3.4 now.