Porting the DC++ Core to OS X using XCode

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hey all. For those of us who use DC (Direct Connect) we all know how annoying it is when you're kicked out of a hub for not having DC++ versus NMDC, or Neo Modus Direct Connect, which is less prefered. There isn't a real DC++ for Mac OS X, though some started to port one and hasn't finished (yet).

Below:

http://sourceforge.net/docman/displa...group_id=99171

is a guide that shows the developer how to port/compile the core of DC++ to OS X using XCode. I've tried to do it but I couldn't get very far. They say that the WINDOWS directory (which contains the GUI code) is hard to port. The dir they use there is the CLIENT dir. Can anyone shed some light on this? Maybe I'll muck around with it and I'll make my own GUI for it if I can. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    No one?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    You should be asking this question to the sourceforge team working on the project. I am learning Objective C and I think I have reached a stage where I can play with x-Code. But I have no clue of what DC is to even bother trying to make it work.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

You should be asking this question to the sourceforge team working on the project. I am learning Objective C and I think I have reached a stage where I can play with x-Code. But I have no clue of what DC is to even bother trying to make it work.

Well that's the reason why I'm asking for help here. The person/people that were working on it "temporarily discontinued it". Can anyone figure it out?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    You may want to check out the Programmer's Symposium (sp?) and the Mac forum at Ars Technica (http://arstechnica.com). The latter forum has a long thread about Mac programming projects, and if you're interested in the subject you could probably find some technical assistance there.

Alternatively, I think there is an active newsgroup for Objective C in comp.lang .

I hope that helps.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    I was playing around with this just for the fun of it. There is a early Alpha release on the macdcpp project page. You said something about work on the project being temporarily stopped. So what is the scoop?

In any case, I spent a good few hours yesterday trying to get STLport to build on XCode 1.1 with no success. Apple needs to do much more to adhere to GNU compiler standards (at least for C++).

Again on a note, it would be good to go with the current trunk of DC++ instead of an obselete version for the port. Oh well, lets see. It beats playing XIII demo.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    zippzipp Posts: 2member
    Hi

here is a promising DC client

http://sourceforge.net/projects/shakespeer/

if only someone with the right skills can help this

swedish guy to speed up development...

zipp