New New Order Album

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Coming...

Official press release:

Quote:

New Order's highly anticipated new album is well on the way to completion, with the band explaining that they've got twelve songs ready, and that it sounds closer in style to their 1989 classic 'Technique' than their more recent output.

The band are currently recording the as-yet-untitled new record (their first studio album since the disappointingly received 2001 'Get Ready') at Peter Gabriel's Real World studios in Bath.

"We've got 12 songs with vocals and we've recorded eight of them," New Order frontman Bernard Sumner explained to 6 Music, "But because we've got Phil [Cunningham - keyboardist and guitarist who previously played with Sumner in Electronic] helping us on guitar now, the writing's going a lot quicker.

"So we've actually got 20 or 21 backing tracks written but of course I've got to catch up on the vocals and it's a lot harder work writing the vocals than writing the music, I can tell you."

The album is being produced dually by John Leckie (Stone Roses, Radiohead) and Steven Street (Blur, The Smiths). Bassist Peter Hook has explained that the new record will have a more positive feel than it's predecessor.

"It's sounding great," he explained, "It's more 'Techniquey' in its feel than 'Get Ready' is, and we're all feeling uppy and it sounds uppy."

I thought "Get Ready" was brilliant and some of the best work the band have done. But I also liked Technique, so I'm definitely looking forward to this record.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    I can't wait, I just hope they tour the US. I've gotta say that it doesn't make me happy that it's more Techniqueish as that's prolly my least favorite New Order record. I though Get Ready was fantastic and anyone I've played it for was really impressed. It go no promotion in the states.