Holdout on G4 Laptop for software updates

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am a student that wants to get the G4 laptop for the upcoming school year and this summer. I dont think the laptop will be updated in any serious fashion before the school year gets fully underway at the earliest, so I am not to worried about being technologically behind as soon as I get my laptop. But I am curious if peoplle think I should wait to get a laptop until after the convention at the end of the month to see if they update ilife or offer free upgrades to tiger if you buy a laptop after they annouce it.

Any ideas?

thanks,

Ben

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 7
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Moving to General Discussion as this is purchasing advice.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by bclapp

    I am a student that wants to get the G4 laptop for the upcoming school year and this summer. I dont think the laptop will be updated in any serious fashion before the school year gets fully underway at the earliest, so I am not to worried about being technologically behind as soon as I get my laptop. But I am curious if peoplle think I should wait to get a laptop until after the convention at the end of the month to see if they update ilife or offer free upgrades to tiger if you buy a laptop after they annouce it.

    Any ideas?

    thanks,

    Ben




    tiger wont be out until october or november. buy now. besides, you might be able to get tiger for 50 bucks through your university. i seriously doubt iLife will be updated, and if it is, they will be free updates, not a "4.5" that costs extra.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    So far all of the iLife updates have been free downloads. Based on the past few years, the components of what is now called iLife have received their major updates at MWSF. I don't think you'll see a paid upgrade before then.



    Also, if 10.4 follows all earlier upgrades, it'll cost you $69 +s/h with your student discount. Certainly not a bad deal for all the features they've added with each major release.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

    it'll cost you $69 +s/h with your student discount.



    unless a store on campus has a special deal that offers it for 50 bucks. (sorta like the microsoft campus agreement thing). but this is all beside the point.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ipodandimac

    unless a store on campus has a special deal that offers it for 50 bucks. (sorta like the microsoft campus agreement thing). but this is all beside the point.



    You're absolutely correct. Unfortunately my school pretty much neglects all the macs they have.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ipodandimac

    unless a store on campus has a special deal that offers it for 50 bucks. (sorta like the microsoft campus agreement thing). but this is all beside the point.



    Purdue offers any M$ app for $5 via the M$CA and I think they do sell osx for some ridiculous low price too, <$20 I think.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 885member
    I would go ahead and get the PB or iBook now and spend some time getting used to it IF you can get your student discount today. I would also look at the software you will be using for school, like Office, get that rather soon and learn all the features possible. Also throw in some play time with digital pics if you have a camera, loading all of your CD's into iTunes (and burning a copy of each CD on a cheap blank - leaving the originals at home for insurance), and review various accessories available (Griffin Technology can get expensive - too many things to buy).
Sign In or Register to comment.