Moved: Do new 5GB iPods have new headphones?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I believe the new iPods announced at MWNY had new headphones.

I'm wondering if this includes the 5GB version which supposedly didn't change at all.

I'm also wondering if the hold button and firewire port cover is also included on the latest 5GB model.

thanks

[ 08-01-2002: Message edited by: Jamie ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    my understanding is the 5GB model is exactly the same as it was before. no bonuses.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Except for the $100 price drop, of course. But hardware/spec-wise, I think they're the exact same as the iPod first introduced last fall.

Personally, I'm going for the 10GB in a few months probably.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Well, Amazon.com is listing the old 5GB iPod at $294 with immediate availability and is taking pre-orders for the "new" 5GB iPod (with iTunes 3) for $299. Apple's website describes the new lighter earphones on the same page as the 3 iPod models without any disclaimers as well (no small print). This leads me to believe that there is indeed a "new" 5GB iPod that still has the meechanical wheel but comes with the new earbuds.

I think that tonton is right, but that they've already changed the headphone mfg contract but still have to get rid of their stock of mechanical scroll wheel 5GB iPods.

Escher
  • Reply 4 of 8
    It seems to me that all iPods have the new headphones. Apple doesn't manufacture them, they buy them. Why buy two different models of headphones?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    [quote]Originally posted by Michael Grey:

<strong>It seems to me that all iPods have the new headphones. Apple doesn't manufacture them, they buy them. Why buy two different models of headphones?</strong><hr></blockquote>

From the photo, it looks like the same old headphones plugged into the new remote control which is plugged into the ipod.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Meh, why even bother with the supplied earphones? They are pretty awful anyway...
  • Reply 7 of 8
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Moving to Digital Hub...