My First Apple.

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Well i got my first apple last night. A I-Book 14". Much better than any Dell or think pad that i have owned. I just have a few questions about how to do things in OSX.

1. How do i logon to the domain at my work? (2003 PDC)

2. how do i brows the network, i have a few linux boxes running Samba that i would like to get in to

3. Can i use an externial display and the laptop LCD at the same time, My Think Pad could do this.

Thanks for any advice that you can give,

-AG

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    not sure about how to login in the domain, but to connect to a server go to the finder select go, then connect to server. The shortcut for that is the apple key + K, and i don't know about your ibook screen for sure there used to be a hack out there for that would let you do spanning, but if you don't use the hack all you can do is mirroring. The Mac Equivalent of the hallowed Thinkpad is the holiest of holy powerbook, which can also do spanning.

Someone should really move this to genius bar, and I don't know where to find that ibook monitor spanning hack... anyone?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Monitor spanning info for iBook:

http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html
  • Reply 3 of 10
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    well, don't know much about networking, or your other problems, but i want to be the first to congratulate you on your new laptop! rock on!
  • Reply 4 of 10
    agallantagallant Posts: 87member
    The thing works great I love it. Working in IT i was concerned about using an apple but i have had no problems. I can brows the network just file, telenet, and all of the other fun stuff. Only complaint is that Dream Weaver MX runs kinda slow and there is no MySQL ODBC driver for apple. I think with a upgrade of 512 ram it will be fine. Now that i know i will stick with apple, i think i am going to sell this on ebay in a few weeks and spend the money on the 15" i book with the back light keys and other fancy stuff.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    fluffyfluffy Posts: 361member
    Quote:

Originally posted by agallant

there is no MySQL ODBC driver for apple.

This doesn't count?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Ok, so i missed it. I new some one was going to catch that one. Do you know if there is a MySQL Admin for OSX or i am just going to have to stick to PHP Admin?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Off topic question but does any one know how to reimport all of my songs back in to I Tunes. I reinstalled OSX this weekend, and i have not been able to figure out how to get them back in.

-AG
  • Reply 8 of 10
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    Quote:

Ok, so i missed it. I new some one was going to catch that one. Do you know if there is a MySQL Admin for OSX or i am just going to have to stick to PHP Admin?

Here ya go: http://cocoamysql.sourceforge.net/
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Ok, I'm going to stop talking about MySQL.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    staphbabystaphbaby Posts: 353member
    Quote:

Off topic question but does any one know how to reimport all of my songs back in to I Tunes. I reinstalled OSX this weekend, and i have not been able to figure out how to get them back in.

-AG

Either grab the folder containing them and drag it onto the main playlist, or go to File menu> Add to Library (cmd-O) (actually, it might be the option for import slightly further down... I always get confused when I have to do this).