need minor help w/ a pc

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
a few months back, i built myself a small cheap PC (biostar IDEQ) to use w/ my tv for some games and to use as a tivo. everything seems to work fine, except for one thing. during the boot process, and anything else like using the BIOS or booting off of the windows isntall cd, the preset resolution/refresh rate is not 640x480@60hz so the tv flickers like crazy and i need to use an actual monitor instead. does anyone know of a way that i can configure it to use a different refresh rate when it boots up? the flickering dosent stop until i get to the windows login screen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    You might want to check out the registry for the logon entries. I know at one time I took out my logon screen until the password came up and I also changed the windows logon but as far as refresh rate is concerned check the registry. I know that windows has very little drivers loaded at that point if any so it might not be possible to change the default but a little digging arround might find a fix.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThunderPoit

a few months back, i built myself a small cheap PC (biostar IDEQ) to use w/ my tv for some games and to use as a tivo. everything seems to work fine, except for one thing. during the boot process, and anything else like using the BIOS or booting off of the windows isntall cd, the preset resolution/refresh rate is not 640x480@60hz so the tv flickers like crazy and i need to use an actual monitor instead. does anyone know of a way that i can configure it to use a different refresh rate when it boots up? the flickering dosent stop until i get to the windows login screen.

check the bios, the bios on some machines(mainly if the video card is instaled on motherboard) you can adjust the refresh rate on the machine for bootup/dos/bios mode.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    RefreshForce is what you need.

You can also use the dxdiag command from the run prompt (Start--> Run , then type dxdiag), select the More Help tab, then click the Override button.

Type in the refresh rate value that you want - but make sure you know what your monitor can handle. Don't enter 120 if your monitor can't display 120Hz at the resolution you're using.