Duplicating DVD's with Disk Images in Disk Utility

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm trying to make disk images of all my dvds so I can have a digital backup of everything. I insert the DVD, open disk utility, then I know to select the volume and click "new image," but there are two options to select for the volume. The disc I'm doing now was made in iDVD and shows up as:

>MATSHITADVD-R UJ-825

>>Disc Name

Do I make an image using the 1st or second name? (Both names are selectable and have disc icons by them)

thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I'm not entirely sure that will work. First, movie DVD's are encrypted and I don't think the encryption key is copied with the disk image. (I could be wrong though) and second, the disk image will probably be bigger than 4.8GB, which is the max you can burn on a DVD at home.

There is a program called DVD Backup that will allow you to make a backup, but (so the mods don't chew me to bits) please only use it for backups of your DVD's.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

I'm not entirely sure that will work. First, movie DVD's are encrypted and I don't think the encryption key is copied with the disk image. (I could be wrong though) and second, the disk image will probably be bigger than 4.8GB, which is the max you can burn on a DVD at home.

There is a program called DVD Backup that will allow you to make a backup, but (so the mods don't chew me to bits) please only use it for backups of your DVD's.

these are MY dvd's (i.e. ones i've made)

I guess I could have italicized that in the original post.

All are under 4.7GB and not encrypted.

MacAddict said this is the best way to dupe your OWN dvds, and I agree since it means not re-rendering anything.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    Use the second name.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nano

Use the second name.

after deleting my previous images, i did the second names. they didnt work.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    I did a short search on Apple's support site. Article Number 42724 addresses this subject. The method is a little different based on which OS you are using.

For Mac OS X 10.3 and higher

1. Insert the DVD-R video disc that you created with iDVD into the SuperDrive.

2. Open the Disk Utility application (/Applications/Utilities).

3. Select the disc (not just the disc session) you want to copy from the listing.

4. From the Images menu, choose New and the choose Image from "your disk name".

5. Type a file name and choose "DVD/CD Master" from the Image Format pop-up menu.

6. Click the Create button. After the image has been created you should see it in the disk listing in the Disk Utility window.

7. Eject the DVD-R video disc.

8. Select the disk image you created from the listing.

9. Click the Burn icon in the toolbar.

10. When prompted, insert a blank DVD-R disc.

11. Click the Burn button.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

after deleting my previous images, i did the second names. they didnt work.

Sorry. It worked for me when backing up a bunch of CD's.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nano

Sorry. It worked for me when backing up a bunch of CD's.

it's all right--i was jsut tired