Out going mail and port 25 on Cox cable

regreg
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I was just over at my parents who have Cox cable internet. I can recieve mail and surf the web but I am unable to send mail using Apple Mail because Cox blocks port 25 to prevent spamming.

"_25/TCP - SMTP Mail servers use Simple Mail Transport Protocol (SMTP) to exchange email. We block this to protect upstream bandwidth and prevent customers from running open relays could potentially be used by others to send spam via our network."

I have tried switching the smtp server but Cox still prevents any out going mail on port 25. This is something that Cox has just started doing and I use to be able to do everything using smpt.east.cox.net. Any ideas on how I can work around this problem?

reg

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Use your ISP's SMTP server? Most people don't have sendmail on their boxes, so this is how they send mail.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I tried that but it still kept coming up with the port 25 reason. smpt.east.cox.net is the server that you are suppose to use for this area of the cox network.

reg
  • Reply 3 of 5
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Maybe you're meant to use it on another port ? (can't see why though)
  • Reply 4 of 5
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I tried looking thru their faq's and it did not really help any. I was not sure which port to shift the outgoing mail to anyway. Since I live only an hour away I figured to play with it next time I am down there.

reg
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I have cox as well, they do not allow any smtp except their own. it's not too hard, and you can still use your e-mail account, you just have put Cox's smtp into the space. You can find this info by either calling them or going to their website. mine is smtp.west.cox.net . I use it with my spymac e-mail, the sent mail are still labeled with [email protected], you just have to go through cox's smtp. easy as that.