Wildcat Realizm cards announced-Onlooker?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
What do you think?

Nice new site redesign for 3Dlabs as well.

The Realizm 800 is the one that we'd all want

PCI Express Realizm 800

Video Display Capabilities

* Industry?s only isochronous command channel with fast context switching and automatic hardware scheduling to insure ?glitch-free? effects with real-time video.

* Dual-link, dual display for today's megapixel display requirements. Capable of driving resolutions of 3840 x 2400 at the highest refresh rates.

Hmmm now whats the rumored resolution of that 30" Display? Ahh yes The 30-inch, HD-ready model will have a maximum resolution of 2560 x 1600 pixels with a viewable area of 29.7 inches. from Thinksecrets report

Soon we'll see if Kormacs hints of a possible alliance of Apple and 3Dlabs. I tend to believe this may happen because 3Dlabs has been handling the OpenGL 2.0 development and Apple will surely be moving to OGL 2.0 when it's ready. 3Dlabs will know more about it than most and they have new cards.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    all deliver industry-leading programmability to OpenGL® Shading Language and Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0 HLSL shader programs. The Wildcat Realizm 800 is slated for availability in the third calendar quarter of this year at an MSRP of US$2,799. 3Dlabs is a wholly owned subsidiary of Creative Technology Ltd.

Head to Head with QFX4000.

he 16-lane PCI Express-based Wildcat Realizm 800 graphics accelerator doubles raw geometry and fill-rate performance over any single processor graphics solution. Wildcat Realizm 800 has a total of 512-bit bus to 512 MB GDDR3 graphics memory. Wildcat Realizm 800 also integrates 128 MB of onboard DirectBurst? memory to transparently store commands and geometry data for boosting geometry-intensive applications for an amazing total of 640 MB of onboard memory, delivering over 64 GB/second of total graphics memory bandwidth. Wildcat Realizm 800 powers through the Viewperf 7.1.1 UGS-03 benchmark with an unprecedented and unmatched score of greater than 80 frames per second

Wow a QuadroFX 4000 does around 60+. But as always benchmarks only tell us very little. It's overall performance that matters.

Acuity Driver Suite

3Dlabs Acuity? drivers deliver professional-level OpenGL 1.5 support, including an optimized OpenGL Shading Language compiler on both Windows and Linux®, together with full DirectX 9.0 HLSL (Vertex Shader 2.0 and Pixel Shader 3.0) support on Windows 2000 and Windows XP. Acuity drivers will also be available with full 64-bit drivers for Windows XP and Linux in the third quarter of 2004.

Interesting 64bit drivers coming. PS3 and hopefully they'll support OpenGL 2.0 soon enough.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    It's hard for me to compare PCIe to AGP card now specs wise because i've never seen a PCIe card, or motherboard, but it looks promising.

I'd like to see what looks like after independent testing. ATI made the same claims with the FireGL X2 256t because it had double the memory, and specs of lighter Nvidia cards, but toms hardware, hardOCP, and others tested them against the Quadro FX 1100, and it lost out to what was supposed to be an inferior product. The Quadro FX 4000 will also be a PCIe later as well.

As of now there was no mention of Mac OS, and being that it's owned by creative that doesn't surprise me. THe price tag is pretty steep being that I can get a QFX4000 for $1,900, or less, but I'd still like to see how it looks after someone tests it.

If it becomes available on the Mac it would definitely be a good thing, and I doubt anyone would complain.

Although I have been aware of that card, and historically wildcats have never been all that impressive. Which is why I've never brought it up. I also think this card is a little vapory.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    It's a big mother though. Lot's of impressive data in the PDF. We'll hear what's up with this card after siggraph. They'll be there. As will Apple.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Yes I hope these cards are in the hands of testers already. The press release states they've showed OEM vendors and they were impressed but that's standard press release fluff.

Kormac, if he nails this one has my utmost respect. I'm already impressed with his accuracy for NAB 2004(in particular the "final effects" prediction which of course is "Motion").

I'm thinking that 3Dlabs has to start kicking some butt and fending off Nvidia and ATI. The question is would Apple ally with 3Dlabs or simply use Nvidia's Quadro offerings? I have no doubt that new cards are coming. Thinksecret's report on the new displays fits too well. Apple goes to DVI and has a 30incher coming. This 30" display needs two DVI connections. Got it with the higher end cards. Apple didn't announce new displays with the new Powermacs...hmmmmmmm why not? First thing that popped in my head was "they must have some new card announcement to make along with the displays"

Then we find Apple has a significant presence at Siggraph 04. Apple is a proponent of OpenGL, 3Dlabs is the arbitrator. The pdf for the Realizm cards states OGL2 support coming after ratification.

Now I wonder if Apple could be seeking two vendors for high end cards. I think ATI is out because their FireGL options don't perform well and as you say ATI seems to be "OpenGL challenged" . Apple likes to dual source vendors for leverage on the best deals.

Why not pit 3Dlabs against Nvidia? It's likely that WWDC or Siggraph could be the announcement of 3Dlabs offerings and their addition to the Apple Store BTO options. With this we would know that the PCIe 800 model would work for the nexgen Powermac models hopefully using PCIe.

Something is ready to pop. I agree with Kormac that Apple will be taking 3D more seriously but the question is how long will it take?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Siggraph is still mind boggling to me. I can't think that far ahead, and it's too risky for me to start predicting, or believing any shred of rumor mill right now. Maybe I'll get a better idea from possible software announcements at WWDC, but it's still too early for me.

When is CBIT? I'd like to hear what IBM has in the pipeline this year before I jump to far into thinking there may be a hardware announcement or anything at Siggraph.

Other than Apple showing off all their HD stuff, and probably renderman on the G5 again, and motion (obviously be a big part of it). I wont venture a guess past that other than possibly Luxoligy may have something at the Apple booth, but that's just speculation that wouldn't matter either way unless they finally finished their app, and started selling it.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I hate t be a stickler for details, but what machine was that tested that it got 80 FPS on?

The AGP Q FX 4000 was on a single 3.2 GHz Pentium® that got 60 FPS.

Just curious. I couldn't find that info.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

I hate t be a stickler for details, but what machine was that tested that it got 80 FPS on?

The AGP Q FX 4000 was on a single 3.2 GHz Pentium® that got 60 FPS.

Just curious. I couldn't find that info.

I couldn't find it either. They just mention it in the press release but offer no other details. If it has been tested then someone should have a card in their possession and we need a decent review.