getting music on iPod from multiple computers

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
My sister just got an ipod, she was planning on having a friend download all their must on to her ipod. Then she was going to download her music to her own computer and add more music that way. What are the restrictions to adding music from other peoples computers?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    somebody has to say it, so i will:

don't steal music.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Apple lets you do that all you want. Just don't have it on auto sync. It's the other way around iPod -> Computer that apple doesn't like. But there are some elegant programs out there to help out. I however not only don't trust others music quality, but it's a hassle to not have it on auto sync.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Her iPod should first be connected to her computer. It will ask you if you want to sync this iPod to this computer. Say yes. This iPod is now identified as being synced to her computer. All previous music (none if it is new) will be erased. Now this iPod can be connected to unlimited other computers. Each time you do so it will ask if you want to delete all the current music and sync to the new computer. Say no. Now you can manually drag songs and playlists via iTunes to the iPod. This is legal. It is within the limits of the DRM negotiated between Apple and the music industry.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

It's the other way around iPod -> Computer that apple doesn't like. But there are some elegant programs out there to help out.

Somebody has to say this, so I will.

This is messed up. As long as 3rd parties can distribute this functionality, it makes no sense for Apple to punish their less tech-savvy customers by deliberately leaving out this obvious and legal feature. If you set out to violate copyrights in the first place, you can load all the music files on the iPod as non-playable. But if your desktop hard drive goes down in flames, and the music is "accidentally" backed up by your iPod, you have to use a 3rd party app. WTF? Of course you could also be trying to copy your stuff to another computer of your own, or copy some music in the public domain. Apple is unable to distinguish between these uses. Apple is unable to tell in what country and jurisdiction the copies are being made, therefore they can't know even for a specific use whether that use is legal. What they should do is to keep the "don't steal music" sticker in iPod packaging, and let grownup people make their own decision.

Unless, of course, there are technical reasons that make it hard to transfer to the opposite direction, but I find that hard to believe.