iPhoto doesn't delete pictures

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
My iPhoto library is getting really bloated and can't even fit on a CD anymore. I went to delete about 30 1 meg pictures to free up some room, as they were basically just crap. I deleted them and they went to the iPhoto "trash." I then removed them from there and checked to see how much space that freed on my drive. Nothing! I quit iPhoto. Still no change. I go in and they're still in the iPhoto Library folder. Is this normal? If so that's pretty dumb. Just like iTunes, it's a lot easier to delete files from within the application because of its power as a database. It is really annoying as I now I have to sift through the library folder, plus I don't have a reference for what to even look for to delete since they aren't "in" the Library, but are still actually in the library, or the library folder. Grr.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Hmmm. I don't think I have ever emptied my iPhoto trash but after reading your post I thought I would give it a try. I had about a gigabyte of stuff in the trash. When I emptied it, the size of my iPhoto library folder shrank by about a gigabyte (according to the finder). In other words, seems to work for me.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Another thing to think about is any rotated images. iPhoto stores duplicates of photos that are rotated. Go to Versiontracker.com and type "iPhoto diet" into the search bar. The app removes these duplicates.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    That's a nice app but it munched a few pictures...I'm leery of it now. Hmm maybe it's just a weird oddity on my system, not deleting pictures. Oh well thanks for the help!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

My iPhoto library is getting really bloated and can't even fit on a CD anymore. I went to delete about 30 1 meg pictures to free up some room, as they were basically just crap. I deleted them and they went to the iPhoto "trash." I then removed them from there and checked to see how much space that freed on my drive. Nothing! I quit iPhoto. Still no change. I go in and they're still in the iPhoto Library folder. Is this normal? If so that's pretty dumb. Just like iTunes, it's a lot easier to delete files from within the application because of its power as a database. It is really annoying as I now I have to sift through the library folder, plus I don't have a reference for what to even look for to delete since they aren't "in" the Library, but are still actually in the library, or the library folder. Grr.

sounds like you were deleting them out of a photo group, and not the main library. the sub-groups basically just link back to the images in the library, so you basically just deleted a link
  • Reply 5 of 5
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    Quote:

Originally posted by The General

sounds like you were deleting them out of a photo group, and not the main library. the sub-groups basically just link back to the images in the library, so you basically just deleted a link

i agree, that is what i was going to say too.