My Laymen's Review of Kensington's Studio Mouse

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
in case u do not know wat mouse i am talking about, it is can be seen on the kensington website. <a href="http://www.kensington.com/products/pro_mic_d1477.html"; target="_blank">http://www.kensington.com/products/pro_mic_d1477.html</a>;

i went to my local compusa to get a macally portable optical mouse with scrolling wheel and all, but much to my pleasant surprise, i saw one lone box of the studio pro mouse. i didn't even know it had been released officially, so i guess i got lucky...

anyway, on to the dummy's review (no technical stuff here, i'm jus giving my simple review...)

Feel: 7/10

Rubberized grips on the side help with grip and add a feeling of sturdiness to the mouse. I thought it might be a too wide for my hands, but i have smaller than average hands, so maybe it;s just me. i'm sure bigger american hands can handle the slightly larger size.

Clicking Feel: 7/10

Well, it feels just right. it has a nice "click" to it. i wouldn't mind if the buttons depressed a little more.

Response/movement: 9/10

The arrow moves around just the way you like it, and the movement of the mouse is real smooth.

Design: 8/10

Nice, sleek, and kewl looking. not too tacky. the cord looks kinda flimsy and cheap though. goes GREAT with TiBook.

Scroll Sensor: 7/10

This is the big buy of this mouse. I must say, i was disappointed at first with the sensor. i thought u could just glide your fingers through like a laptop trackpad, but u actually have to apply some pressure to the sensor to push it. it takes some time to get used to it. However, after using it for a good week, i must say it is getting MUCH easier to use. Sometimes the response is slow, but that prolly has to do with the comp and not the mouse.

Third Button: 6/10

I haven't really had a chance to use it, but it is there for graphic intensive programs. It's a bit flimsy.

Extras: 10/10

Comes with your standard manual, and software which allows you to customize the mouse settings.

Value: 7/10

The scroll sensor is a promising technology (i'm looking forward to the iPod's sensor), and it is a good start to use it in a graphics mouse. It could have been more sensitive, or at least more responsive. I think another problem is that Mac are generally more choppy in their scrolling, so the scrolling sensor needs more attention in order to control the scrolling. But when u get used to it, it is really cool and neat (it has impressed even my most jaded PC friends); and it's only for Macs . But considering apple sells their studio mouse for the same price (MSRP $59), this is a value. If u got cash to get a mouse, this is a good buy. if u r strapped for cash, then look elsewhere. Btw, if u r into looks and stuff that goes well with Powermacs and TiBooks, this mouse is for u too.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    I like that mouse. Unless Apple makes big changes to their future mouse I'll definitely be eyeballing this one.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Last time I was at CompUSA I saw one on the shelve so I took it out of the box just to see it in person. I don't know, but it didn't feel too comfortable in my hand. Maybe it would be different if I was actually using it on a computer. I wanted to test it out on one of the Macs there but an employee was coming by the Mac section so I had to put it back in the box. Maybe next time I'll give it a try.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    From kensington.com...

Macintosh® -USB port, OS 8.5 or later

PC-Windows® 98, Me, 2000, or XP with USB port*

*Special graphics features work exclusively on Macintosh® computers running OS 8.5 and OS 9.X.

What are the special graphics features?

MSKR
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I just bought this mouse today, the rubber grip on the side is very comfortable and the scroll sensor is very nice... when you get used to it. I think i`ll be keeping this little toy around for a while. Its also much faster in responce than my ol logitech dual button. Over all its one of the best mice i have had in a while. I still favor the apple pro mouse but i cant use one button mice, damn you apple. How dare you make such a sexy product and then castrate it
  • Reply 5 of 7
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    I'll have to take a look at it I think... I was kinda hoping apple would be showing off a new mouse soon..
  • Reply 6 of 7
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Just figured this was worth mentioning...

If you're looking to get a Studio Mouse cheaper than the $60 that it costs, check out ClubMac. I got the ClubMac catalogue today and they've got the Studio Mouse for only $39.94.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    UPDATE:

the side of the mouse (the rubber grips) gets noticeably dirty more easily than other mice; probable because it is a pure white. just a small observation.