My iBook won't boot up properly

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi, all you geniuses... your input on upgrading the hard drive in my G3 iMac was extremely helpful. Now, I have a real problem.

My tangerine iBook ran O/S 9.2 perfectly until just recently. Now, it hangs during boot-up, and if I try to book it off a CD, it *still* hangs. I managed to get it to the desktop once, but then it froze again. Since then, no dice.

I tend to get a lot of system errors during this process, and even got an error referencing an "unknown address." Does this have something to do with bad memory, perhaps? When the system locks, on occasion, I'll get the Mac O/S window with the upper half looking normal, and the lower half all scrambled. Video problem?

Lastly, it seemed the problems started when I replaced my Microsoft User Data folder in an attempt to synchronize my Outlook Express with my desktop computer. (Usually, I only replace a couple of data files, but this time I did the whole shebang.) This may just be a coincidence, but I thought I'd mention it.

I'm stumped, so any advice or help you can provide would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

GTSC

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    My guess is in fact bad memory. You know the routine.

If you need memory as yours is bad let me know; I have some memory in a defunct Wallstreet (128MB dimms) I'll sell for cheap.