Correct way to network between a Mac and a PC?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
HI,

Hi, I was wondering if someone could tell me the correct way to network between a Mac and a PC using a Hub (switch) and not a router.

The Mac would be the head computer, and the PC would run off of it... is this able to be done? I was told the Mac would need to be on everytime I wanted to use the net on the PC (which would be fine as my Mac is always on) - What do I need to enter to do this?

iDunno.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    Are you using panther? If so, just go to share internet connection. I believe its in the sharring pane. Of course set each computer with there own ip etc... I'm sure you know how to do this if your planning to do this. On your windows machine when you go to set up the network just choose that your computer connects to another computer. It will then ask for the ip etc... and put it in. After that your pc will simply look for the mac when it wants to go online. Your mac will always be online so the connection will just pass through your mac to the internet.

Hope this helps.

I think on the apple site there is some documentation also on how to do this and set up different networks with a mac and pc.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Thanks a lot Dage. That was more than enough help to get me heading in the right direction.

iDunno