iPhoto on windows

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Is there a chance we could ever see iphoto ported to windows?

I ask because, like iTunes, there is money to be made here on the windows side with the photo printing service, lets face it, it beats everything on this side of the fence.

hey they could bundle it with digital cameras and thus have a very powerfull dstrobution channel.

come on steve, go for the $$$

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    I'd sure like to see this. I could see it playing out along the same vector as iTunes/iTMS/iPod...iPhoto/iPhoto Store/iCamera.

Lots of doubts that Apple could provide anything compelling in the digital camera space. I don't know. I can imagine iCamera with a 4GB HD inside to do away with Memort Sticks and CF cards. An iPod-like UI/controls. iPhoto "synching"...maybe take my iPhoto libraries with me where I go. Plug it into a TV and show off pics. That sort of thing.

Some neat ideas along those lines.

Probably would focus on the mid-to-high consumer (not pro). Consumers that want ease of use, less buttons, integration, nice design, good quality.

It certainly is possible. I don't know that it would drive hardware sales as much as iTunes and iTMS drives iPod sales. But it might.

Apple is branching out. They are looking at devices that they can get into the hands of millions of people that get past the "barriers of entry" a Mac has.

I would buy an iCamera.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    The digital camera market is flooded, what apple needs to do is get together with the manufacturors and say "hey, we have a much better solution that we will let you ship with your cameras at no charge!(we make our $$$ on prints)" thus the digicam makers get away from the utter crap they offer for photo management now.

Just imagine, every consumer/semi-pro(consumer level S.L.R.) digital camera from cannon, sony, fugi, ect. shipping with iphoto out of the box. The user base would grow like wild fire and thus people may say "gee, these apple people do good stuff." do not be fooled, it may not start a mass societal "switch" movement but the seed would be planted in the minds of millions.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

The digital camera market is flooded, what apple needs to do is get together with the manufacturors and say "hey, we have a much better solution that we will let you ship with your cameras at no charge!(we make our $$$ on prints)" thus the digicam makers get away from the utter crap they offer for photo management now.

Just imagine, every consumer/semi-pro(consumer level S.L.R.) digital camera from cannon, sony, fugi, ect. shipping with iphoto out of the box. The user base would grow like wild fire and thus people may say "gee, these apple people do good stuff." do not be fooled, it may not start a mass societal "switch" movement but the seed would be planted in the minds of millions.

I guess I am skeptical of three things here:

1. That Apple would be interested in (or that there is enough profit in) making money on the prints. Seems dubious to me that Apple would go this direction. More likely the opposite.

2. That any of the camera guys want to partner with Apple (though, admittedly, this is an intriging scenario).

3. That anyone might be compelled to "switch" based on iPhoto. It seems that Apple has given up on the "switch" idea. Some will, to be sure, but not droves. If anything, the argument will be "Now I have one more piece of software that Mac users have. LESS reason to switch."

The problem I see with #2 is there there is little profit motivation (without #1 or #3).

I agree that the camera market is busy. But I also have not studied it closely enough to see if Apple can bring something new to it. They did so with iPod...which almost everyone dismissed as a stupid idea when it was released.

They may have looked at the market and dismissed the idea themselves too.

In any case, I don't see #1...and I don't see iPhoto for Windows without some other profit motive.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I think if the opportunity were really there, Apple would pounce on it in a second. However, as others pointed out, iPhoto, is middleware and Apple doesn't really control the hardware or end products: prints or cameras. Right now, the Mac is the only end that Apple controls and profits from via iPhoto. Apple only brought iTunes to Windows when it was able to release the Mac from such a role and put the iPod in its place. Unless there's a new high-margin, high-profit product or service that iPhoto becomes the vehicle to, I don't see Apple doing Windows users any favors.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    No profit motive? I think a_greer's bundling idea would be almost total profit provided they don't give it way, but charge a small amount for every camera sold. An exclusive deal with one manufacturer could have Apple lower the bundling cost even further. That's the great thing about software, if done well, it can pay for itself quickly and then just pour the rest into the coffers.

The only major hurdle is the issue of drivers. Windows is teh suck with drivers (compared to Apple). It probably is the showstopper. But that could be the OEMs' reponsibility...

A hardware-lead attempt (camera-Pod) is much more risky and less profitable.

Screed
  • Reply 6 of 10
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

2. That any of the camera guys want to partner with Apple (though, admittedly, this is an intriging scenario).

Most companies already license Quicktime so this isn't that big of a jump.

But the only way I see it happening is if Apple actually ported their APIs for iTunes, rather than code. If they have a subset of APIs ready to go, then other applications could be moved over more easily with Apple focusing more on API compatibility rather than individual application compatibility.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Photo managers on the PC are already well accounted for.

Adobe sells a bundles with Photoshop Elements/Album. Apple really cannot afford to break into this market giving a free product away. Not enough money in it for the work involved IMO.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

No profit motive? I think a_greer's bundling idea would be almost total profit provided they don't give it way, but charge a small amount for every camera sold. An exclusive deal with one manufacturer could have Apple lower the bundling cost even further. That's the great thing about software, if done well, it can pay for itself quickly and then just pour the rest into the coffers.

The only major hurdle is the issue of drivers. Windows is teh suck with drivers (compared to Apple). It probably is the showstopper. But that could be the OEMs' reponsibility...

A hardware-lead attempt (camera-Pod) is much more risky and less profitable.

Screed

iPhoto could just use the drivers for cameras (and scanners?) from the twain directory as all other apps do

and windows recognizes my camera as a camera and a flash drive, the tools are there, all apple needs to do is tie it together with a nice front-end

problem solved

and in the mean time for windows I am growing to like Picasa
  • Reply 9 of 10
    do many people actually use the iphoto printing service? i don't think there's enough money in that field to make it worth the effort. and honestly, iphoto isn't that great of a program. not good enough to knock out any contendors on the pc side. itunes is much nicer than any windows jukebox program i've seen.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    xmogerxmoger Posts: 242member
    The printing service would have to compete with the 3 services built into windows. Does apple's service do all that well with no competition currently?