Iowa judges must justify custody orders that are not equal

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Dad's get hope

Good news on what should hopefully become a national trend. More and more state goverments are supporting and promoting default joint physical custody in divorce settlements.

The Iowa law seems a good one. It still gives the court it's full ability to act on the matter. It simply makes the judge write down a justification that shows why it is not in the best interests of the child to be with both parents equally if the judge decides against joint physical custody.

I'm not a divorced father, but I do have male friends and family members who have been reduced to basically being a checkbook or worse yet, having the state treat them like criminals for doing something as innocent as calling their own child on their birthday.

I hope similar legislation makes the rounds through the remaining states that have not considered or adopted similar laws on this matter. There are too many dad's being denied a right to see their children.

Nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    good to see some improvements in the custody law here.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Another example from the Christian Science Monitor.

When equal custody is law, who gains?

In this article, we see a common argument I have watched several friends become a victim of with regard to custody. Often when children are very young, they courts will decide that it is in their best interest to stay with the mother while potty training, bottle feeding, etc. Later the courts use the years with disproportionate time spent with the mother as a sort of inertia that now much be overcome in order for the father to get his 50% custody.

I have the same strange argument used in teaching by administrators who really just prefer you not retain anyone, even if they are in fifth grade and read on a first grade level. In first and second grade, they will claim that they are just immature and should promote up anyway. The same child in third, fourth and fifth grade now becomes "too mature" and cannot be held back out of fear that their physical and emotional growth would now be inappropriate for their grade level.

Nick