Ibook Airport and Linksys Woes

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a Snow Ibook with an Airport Wireless card 802.11B now my Wireless router is a Linksys G router wrt54g I believe all my pcs connect to it fine both wired and wireless but the Ibook for some reason will only connect if the router is set to B Only meaning that if I have the router to Mixed so my Pcs with G cards can take advantage of the Speed the mac will not get a signal and tell me that it cannot connect, I have the latest firmware for the router and the newest airport software it connects fine in B only but I was wondering why it wont connect in mixed mode.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    well i dont think there's anything to talk about here. either get a g card for the ibook, buy an aiport express, or deal with it.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    but the ibook doesent support airport express its a 12inch model so It doesent have a pcmcia slot to put a G card in so I guess I have to deal with B then huh? can I use a usb 802.11G adapter on a mac thanks
  • Reply 3 of 9
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    The WRT54G has both G and B built in, so if you have an Airport card in the iBook it'll work fine.

What's wrong with B anyway? If you're just poking around the 'net you're not going to notice any huge difference between B and G anyway.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    yes but if I keep the router in mixed mode the airport wont see the network it only sees it if I keep it on B only which bogs down the rest of my network, as far as speed id prefer G not only because I payed the extra money for the G and transfering large files a couple of gigs takes a hell of a longer time on B than on G
  • Reply 5 of 9
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cordtripper

yes but if I keep the router in mixed mode the airport wont see the network it only sees it if I keep it on B only which bogs down the rest of my network, as far as speed id prefer G not only because I payed the extra money for the G and transfering large files a couple of gigs takes a hell of a longer time on B than on G

Only from machine to machine. besides if speed is the problem then u might as well hard wire it.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    well yeah from machine to machine i usually need to move large iso or source code files to my pc laptop so i can work in the bedroom speed is an issue but i dont want to throw wires all over thats where wireless came in handy i could live with 54mbps but 11 is a pain i noticed it appears to be a linksys because with my friends netgear G router in mixed mode it connects fine does anyone know of a workaround with the linksys or do i just have to deal with the 11mbps
  • Reply 7 of 9
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I have almost the exact same set up and it works fine (no peecees;D)

I have the WRT54G set up in mixed mode with 128 bit wep and the "Wireless SSID Broadcast" set to disabled. My powerbook with the G card and the iBook with the B card both work fine.

Have you tried turning off the peecees and connecting with the iBook? Maybe the peecees are locking it into G somehow?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    well now im possitive its the router i can connect both the Mac with the B card and the pc with the G aslong as I set basic rate to default instead of auto but then the PCs dont get more than 1-2mbps so it makes no sense I might aswell leave the router in B-only does anyone know if any of the USB 802.11G network adapters would work on a mac?? that might just be easier

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edit

-------------------------------------------------

Nevermind tested it with a different pcmcia card and the it works fine the pc connects at 54mbps (802.11G) and the mac connects at 11mbps (802.11B) it was just that Basic Rate selection box in the advanced wireless settings that was set to all instead of default thanks to all who helped and all who looked you have no Idea how greatfull I am to you all no with that said I must hit the bed goodnight to you all

-------------------------------------------------------

3Ddy
  • Reply 9 of 9
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    There was a web site that did a large number of sets on the mixed (b/g) routers. They had interesting results for mixed use setups. If you do a google search for the router name you may find it.