dual monitor question

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I just ordered the dual 2.8 G5 and I upgraded to the ATI Radeon 9600 XT for my graphics card. This graphics card has dual monitor support, but which type of monitors does it support (VGA or DVI)? I have a viewsonic that can hook up using dvi and vga. Thanks.

-Jordan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    One ADC port, One DVI port IIRC... so use the DVI on your Viewsonic.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JordanEatWorld

I just ordered the dual 2.8 G5 and I upgraded to the ATI Radeon 9600 XT for my graphics card. This graphics card has dual monitor support, but which type of monitors does it support (VGA or DVI)? I have a viewsonic that can hook up using dvi and vga. Thanks.

-Jordan

just FYI, you ordered a dual 2.5 Ghz G5. I hope that doesnt spoil your day.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

just FYI, you ordered a dual 2.5 Ghz G5. I hope that doesnt spoil your day.

actually i meant 1.8, i knew what i got i just typed the wrong thing. thanks.

-Jordan
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

One ADC port, One DVI port IIRC... so use the DVI on your Viewsonic.

whats ADC? and is there anyway to hook up DVI or VGA up to it? and whats IIRC? thanks

-Jordan
  • Reply 5 of 17
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

whats ADC? and is there anyway to hook up DVI or VGA up to it? and whats IIRC? thanks

-Jordan

ADC == Apple Display Connector. It combines power, USB & video in one cable. Only Apple displays can use this directly.

If you want to plug a DVI monitor to an ADC port you have to buy a converter which costs somewhere between 99/149 USD.

Apple's OEM cards contain one ADC and one DVI port, with a DVI to VGA adapter included.

IIRC == If I Remember Correctly.

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

ADC == Apple Display Connector. It combines power, USB & video in one cable. Only Apple displays can use this directly.

If you want to plug a DVI monitor to an ADC port you have to buy a converter which costs somewhere between 99/149 USD.

Apple's OEM cards contain one ADC and one DVI port, with a DVI to VGA adapter included.

IIRC == If I Remember Correctly.

Hope this helps.

the ADC to DVI converter costs (at least) $100!? why!?

theres no cheaper solution? cuz i have my viewsonic (DVI), which ill use as my main monitor, but i also have a VGA monitor that i would like to use as a secondary monitor. thanks for the info.

-Jordan
  • Reply 7 of 17
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

theres no cheaper solution? cuz i have my viewsonic (DVI), which ill use as my main monitor, but i also have a VGA monitor that i would like to use as a secondary monitor. thanks for the info.

-Jordan

Simple, because it is proprietary apple can charge a butt-load, look at Sony memory.stick vs. say.. SD or MMC cards for another example of this.

the Xbox sort of does the same thing, If what I read was right, the wire on the Xbox controller is usb1.1 with a modified connector (ala proprietary) and if you know what wires are what, data and power, you can actually re-wire it to work with PeeCee games.

• Reply 8 of 17
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

-Jordan

No, they're confused. The part that goes from ADC to DVI is in the $15-$25 range, and might even come with the computer. It's the other way around (DVI to ADC) that's $100-$150 because it has to include a power supply for the monitor.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Oops, my bad.

An ADC to DVI converter costs $39 at the Apple store.

It's the DVI to ADC (as Whisper pointed out) that costs $100 or so.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    so i can hook up my viewsonic (DVI) monitor to the ADC port using the ADC to DVI converter (which costs $39)? sorry, just clarifying. thanks.

-Jordan
  • Reply 11 of 17
    o4blackwrxo4blackwrx Posts: 383member
    Yes because you have a DVI monitor and you want to use the ADC port on the back of the computer.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    ADC from What I read when it was announced was just DVI with Power, and USB interconnected into one output. You can't hack it your self however. It could be nice for some if they could just peel away the power, and usb connections and directly plug it in.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    so i have to spend the 100 bucks on the adapter?

-Jordan
  • Reply 14 of 17
    fluffyfluffy Posts: 361member
    Quote:

so i have to spend the 100 bucks on the adapter?

-Jordan

No. If you want to hook up the viewsonic just plug it into the dvi port. If you want to use a second monitor, spend $39 for the ADC->DVI adapter, plug your adapted viewsonic into the ADC port and your second monitor into the DVI port, with the included DVI->VGA adapter if necessary.

If you just want to hook up your viewsonic no adapter will be required.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Fluffy's got it right.

ADC to DVI Adapter for the Viewsonic

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...nMore=T2774G/A

Use the included DVI-VGA adapter for your VGA monitor.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    oh ok, so id only need the cheap one if i want to have dual monitors? cuz i asked that before and someone said id need the 100 dollar one.

-Jordan
  • Reply 17 of 17
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    I've been using dual monitors on my Mac for a while, one DVI and one VGA monitor. The VGA monitor plugs into the DVI port on my graphics card via the included convertor. I had to get that $39 convertor to plug in my DVI monitor into the ADC port.

However, note that the convertor is actually DVI-D, my monitor came with a DVI-I cable. To make the convertor fit onto the DVI-I cable, I had to drill a hole into the DVI-D convertor cable. See here for the connector pinout. DVI-I carries an analog signal I believe (which is not needed for a digital interface). Anyways, just a heads up.