iMac vs. eMac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was looking at getting a new mac and was wondering what is the big difference between a low end iMac and an eMac aside from the floating screen and a few hundred dollars? Is there something I'm missing here?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    babarbabar Posts: 28member
    The G4 processor, a better video card.

That's about it.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    I wasnt too impressed with the display on the eMac infact the refresh rate is nasty i think!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    [quote]Originally posted by Babar:

The G4 processor, a better video card.<hr></blockquote>

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the CD-RW iMac Flat Panel, not the CRT iMac, because he mentioned the flat screen.

Anyway, I would personally pick the eMac. I've heard some complaints about the screen, and I suppose some people are bothered by the 72 Hz refresh rate at high resolution, but I haven't noticed any problems on the two I've seen. Both had better displays than my brother's Rev. B CRT iMac (1024x768, 75 Hz). The iMac has a lot of things going for it, like light weight, better screen for some (though it is smaller and lower resolution than the eMac's screen), small size, and ease of use. But the eMac on the tilt and swivel stand is almost as effortless to adjust as the iMac's screen.

Performance-wise, the 700 MHz eMac and the 700 MHz iMac are the same. Same processor, bus, cache, graphics card, etc. The eMac does have sound input, if that's important, and I'm not sure but it may have to user-accessible RAM slots vs. the iMac's one (you can upgrade both in an iMac, but one of them requires an Apple tech).

Edit: Mods, this probably belongs in Genius Bar, since it's purchasing advice.

[ 08-03-2002: Message edited by: Luca Rescigno ]</p>