.mac Webmail Spell Check

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I've just noticed that webmail now has an online spell check. It's quite nifty.

Is that new or am I just not very observant..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Yeah, I'm fairly certain that's new. I guess they're feeling the heat from GMail just like Yahoo and Hotmail who've both announced increases to 100 or 250MB of storage.

The .mac spellcheck UI is quite nifty. I like it.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    There's a new option for "Email aliases" as well in Preferences -> Accounts.

They act as disposable addresses that you can use to sign up for dodgy web services that might sell your address to spammers.

Interesting addition.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    tadunnetadunne Posts: 175member
    don't you just love the attention to detail they have?

bit surprised they have not been advertising this..

Alias's are going to be so useful, I've made one for my Son and one for purchases already...
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Has anyone found any other new additions to the .mac service? I have been looking around but havent found anymore. And leave it to Apple to come up with alias' for email accounts. Pure genious. Its good to see someone is still thinking differently these days.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    maninmacmaninmac Posts: 64member
    Um, Sorry old boy but I have had that feature on my Yahoo! mail for about nine months now...I get 100 megs of space, it never goes down, and It is free!

• Reply 6 of 12
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    Strange thing about the alias is once its been deleted it can never be reused, even by you.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by maninmac

Um, Sorry old boy but I have had that feature on my Yahoo! mail for about nine months now...I get 100 megs of space, it never goes down, and It is free!

Which feature? The spell-checking or the disposable aliases?

I'm actually surprised they added spell checking since Safari comes with spell checking by default. Another good example of Apple coming to terms with being a niche player and making interoperation with the Windows world better.

As for Yahoo's 100MB of space, it still gets trumped by Google mail's 1000MB (and Hotmail's rumoured 250MB) of space, plus it has neither the integration with AddressBook and all the other Mac goodness nor the web UI innovations of Apple and Google. I've never seen web spellchecking done in the way .mac works, but then I've never used Yahoo mail so I can't really comment..

Plus, they only upped the space recently. The mail from my Yahoo using friends still has an *advertisement* at the end of every email (classy!) boasting of 6MB of space.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by maninmac

Does yahoo do imap? that feature is really important for me..

The mac email seems so cope well with spam too and they virus check the mail, but you are right they should up the space... and hopefully they will.

I dont know about yahoo, but I've had a few hotmail accounts and they are just spam sponges..
  • Reply 9 of 12
    synoticsynotic Posts: 151member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

I've never seen web spellchecking done in the way .mac works, but then I've never used Yahoo mail so I can't really comment..

I can't tell.. have you used Gmail yet? How exactly does .mac's spell check work? Any pics? I wouldn't be surprised if they copied similar to gmail's method, which is quite slick
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Synotic

I can't tell.. have you used Gmail yet? How exactly does .mac's spell check work? Any pics? I wouldn't be surprised if they copied similar to gmail's method, which is quite slick

it underlines all the words it thinks are spelt wrong. Then if you hover over the word it turns into a pop up menu with all the guess in. You can also have it learn new words.. is that the same as gmail..?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    GMail and .mac spell-checkers are very similar. You click the link to spell-check and your mail is replaced with a read only version with the possible misspellings underlined in red.

For .Mac you hover over the word and it is replaced with a standard HTML dropdown list widget. In Gmail you click the word and a DHTML drop down menu appears.

Overall very similar but I'm guessing that the .mac approach is more accessable. Gmail already had the floating menu widget though for other stuff (guessing addressee as you type etc.) so I guess it makes sense to use it for this too.

I've not used any other email services in a while, is this kind of UI standard? I've not seen it in any other web apps.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    synoticsynotic Posts: 151member
    To get an idea: