Where to buy 3rd party 250GB SATA drive?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
On monday i'm finally getting my g5 anyways, i want a 250GB SATA hard drive, but i only want one. i'd prefer to have the 160 in the 1st slot with the OS, then the 250 will be my video drive. where should i buy to get the most reliable drive, or, who is apple's supplier for those drives? thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Seagate.

I think.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    You want the Hitachi 7K250. I buy components from NewEgg.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Last I heard, Seagate was the drive used in Power Mac G5 machines. They are also the only native Serial ATA drive on the market. There are other drives you can consider too:
    • Hitachi Deskstar - Higher performance then stock

• Samsung Spinpoint - Quieter then stock (quietest being sold)

• Western Digital Raptor - Highest performance, but it will cost

• Reply 4 of 6
    And then RAID 0 them... m.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    one more question (my G5 delay has delayed this purchase too).

this is the site i think I will buy from, however, there is a page about this hard drive being just a "bare drive". Will this work in my G5 if there are cables and things that come with it? Thanks.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    All you need is the bare bones drive as the connectors are already in the G5. If you go to Apple-->Support and then use the search feature you can download the G5 startup manual which gives instructions for installing a hard drive and RAM.

A couple of weeks ago I placed an order with ZipZoomFly. This was the first time I had ordered from them and I was really impressed. I ordered on a Sunday evening, the order was processed and shipped on a Monday, and I received it via their free 2-day shipping on Wednesday. When my 2.5 G5 arrives I'm also planning on ordering a 250GB drive from them.