Quicktime registration?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm new to Apples and I just got my new 15" AlBook the other day. Being used to the ways of windows one of the first things I did was run the software updater. It asked me for my Quicktime registration info and for some reason I really expected the machine to come with a full copy of Quicktime.

Did I do something wrong or do I just have unrealistic expectations?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    All new Apple computers come with the free QuickTime Player. There is also QuickTime Pro which unlocks features in Player. If you haven't paid for Pro just skip the dialog.

Consider going Pro if your into any content creation.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bfoz

I'm new to Apples and I just got my new 15" AlBook the other day. Being used to the ways of windows one of the first things I did was run the software updater. It asked me for my Quicktime registration info and for some reason I really expected the machine to come with a full copy of Quicktime.

Did I do something wrong or do I just have unrealistic expectations?

Quicktime is an integral part of MacOS X. You have a full copy of Quicktime if you have MacOS X. Registering Quicktime Pro releases extra functionality in the Quicktime Player. Without registration, the Quicktime Player will use every installed codec and play every file that Quicktime Pro can play. Quicktime Pro will allow you to perform simple edits or even to create movies and slide shows. QT Pro will also allow you to play certain content fullscreen.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    The distinction between Pro and the crippled one is blatantly embarrassing, isn't it? It is one of these things i hate very much.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Then pay for the added functionality.

Pro is for editing and saving.

Free is for playing. There's nothing 'crippled' about that, with one exception:

The *ONLY* thing I can see being possibly unreasonable is the lack of fullscreen in the player. And god knows there are plenty of free ways to get around that.

Ditch the annoying upgrade reminders, and call it good.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    bfozbfoz Posts: 2member
    Thanks for the replies. I guess my expectations were too high. Its a shame that I have to put up with the reminders when I have no desire to purchase the full version. Why can't I use the free version in peace?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    david rdavid r Posts: 135member
    Quicktime should be able to play content full screen without having to register.

I realize that there are freeware utilities that can do that, but that is not the point.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by bfoz

Thanks for the replies. I guess my expectations were too high.

No, you should expect the best, and mostly you get the best Anyway, welcome to the club, i hope you do enjoy your mac very much.

Quote:

Its a shame that I have to put up with the reminders when I have no desire to purchase the full version. Why can't I use the free version in peace?

Indeeeeeed, and i (and the vast majority) completely do not understand apples policy, when it particularily comes to that pathetic qt policy. Well...
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

There's nothing 'crippled' about that, with one exception:

The *ONLY* thing I can see being possibly unreasonable is the lack of fullscreen in the player.

Ditch the annoying upgrade reminders, and call it good.

Then pay for the added functionality.

Pro is for editing and saving.

Free is for playing.

And god knows there are plenty of free ways to get around that.

Tell that a switcher, he immediately feels like he just changed devil with evil

btw, saucy today?