setting up g4 as server for remote access behind router and switch?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm trying to setup a G4 as a server in my office for remote access with Now Up to date software. Is it a problem doing this behind a router and a switch?

What if i move it so its just behind the switch does that change anything?

Do I have to buy another NIC card and use the g4 as a gateway? If so how does one configure that? Thanks. Any comments or help would be great.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by O and A

I'm trying to setup a G4 as a server in my office for remote access with Now Up to date software. Is it a problem doing this behind a router and a switch?

What if i move it so its just behind the switch does that change anything?

Do I have to buy another NIC card and use the g4 as a gateway? If so how does one configure that? Thanks. Any comments or help would be great.

I would think this shouldn't be a problem - just find out what ports Now Up To Date uses, and forward those ports to the G4. I don't really know anything about the difference between a switch and a router - if the switch has no firewall, then yes you could put the G4 in front of the router - but then that machine is going to need to have a firewall on so it isn't just an open door to your network...

I haven't done it, but it is possible to set up what I believe is called a DMZ (stands for the same thing) which I think takes all traffic which hits the router and also feeds it to the DMZ sans firewall. That way your network is protected, but you have one machine off on the side... Don't quote me on that last one

I imagine somewhere in the software documentation they should let you know the important ports you need...
  • Reply 2 of 2
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    I did the same thing with my G4 and other programs. As far as the DMZ is concerned I feel it is good even for troubleshooting if you want to bypass the router, but if you want more security, you might as well do port forwarding. Just go to the website of the software and find what ports it uses then go to the router and go to port forwarding. Indicate the ports you found on the website and if they are TCP or UDP then just forward them to the ip of the G4, it's that simple I must say. You can always check to see if the OS X firewall has the option to enable the program you are using.

For example my first issue was for remote software Timbuktu and now panther has this in the built in firewall so I just check mark it and away I go. If you choose to keep the windows firewall you may have to also open the ports in the built in firewall the same ports as you forwarded on the router.

Hope this helps.

DD