Mobile G5 is here?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
These guys are reporting that IBM will roll out a mobile G5!!

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1617070,00.asp

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    eweek <-> ThinkSecret
  • Reply 2 of 18
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

Yeah, but read the article:

"Rohrer would not comment on the time frame for a chip incorporating PowerTune. Industry insiders said a PPC 970FX-based notebook is not expected to ship before the end of the year."
  • Reply 3 of 18
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Yeah, but read the article:

"Rohrer would not comment on the time frame for a chip incorporating PowerTune. Industry insiders said a PPC 970FX-based notebook is not expected to ship before the end of the year."

It's here...

• Reply 4 of 18
    Hey, that could be the new iMac!
  • Reply 5 of 18
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

eweek <-> ThinkSecret

Although Nick has done a better job of hiding the connection in the last year...

Escher
  • Reply 6 of 18
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    That Merrill Lynch guy off his rocker. If he had any real info it would be insider trading, or something, and if there is no new major products he will look like a fool. IMO he's crazy.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    snipesnipe Posts: 97member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

That Merrill Lynch guy off his rocker. If he had any real info it would be insider trading, or something, and if there is no new major products he will look like a fool. IMO he's crazy.

He may be but he really went out on a limb earlier this week when Merrill

Lynch raise their target price for AAPL from $32 to $39
  • Reply 8 of 18
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

Am I the only one to see that the article says exactly the opposite?

Quote:

This multi-use approach is much different from that of IBM's rivals. "IBM can't afford to spend the amount of money developing multiple architectures that Intel [Corp.] can," said Nathan Brookwood, principal analyst at Insight64 in Saratoga, Calif.

"Because of its market share, because of its growing share in the mobile market, Intel can afford to send a few engineers off to optimize a mobile processor," Brookwood said. "You're not likely to see that kind of effort from IBM.

"The mobile PowerPC market is relatively small, even though there are an increasing number of PowerBooks," he said. "If you look at Apple's market share in the PC industry, and then [compare] their desktops versus their notebooks, it's hard to justify the same kind of R&D Intel put into Centrino."

When asked if IBM needs to develop a Pentium M-style redesign, Krewell responded, "I would hope they would. I think that's the way you need to go to get something like the Athlon64 into the notebook. Big, transportable things with a lot of power and a lot of fans aren't Apple's business model. Apple has to be more stylish."

IBM's designers disagree. Rohrer said with PowerTune, the G5 will likely be down-clocked to enable it to enter the 15- to 30-watt range needed to produce a G5 notebook.

So, a G5 Powerbook somewhere next year: perhaps yes, with a down-clocked 970fx. A mobile G5: most likely not. At least not anytime soon.

Freescale is the only one I see in the mobile PowerPC sector, for the time being.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    strawberrystrawberry Posts: 181member
    Staring at the grille makes my eyes go funny!

• Reply 10 of 18
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Strawberry

You are right. It was late and My eyes were tired.

Sorry!
  • Reply 11 of 18
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

LOL, remember when thinksecret had that pattern as their default background - oh my god.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    sneakysneaky Posts: 6member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Am I the only one to see that the article says exactly the opposite?...Freescale is the only one I see in the mobile PowerPC sector, for the time being.

I'm 100% with ya on this. I think it will be freescale for at least 2 more updates. You heard it here first.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

LOL, remember when thinksecret had that pattern as their default background - oh my god.

It still is, but it's customizable now. And that's where I got mine. De-perspectivizing the Apple promo wasn't worth it for a quick chuckle.

OMG, is that a copyright violation???????

Nice illusion (not an animation):
  • Reply 14 of 18
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

There's this photochop of a girl with two sets of eyes and mouths that made me want to pop a bottle of Advil. I wish I had kept the pic...
  • Reply 15 of 18
    So how about new Powerbooks within the next year?
  • Reply 16 of 18
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Peter North

So how about new Powerbooks within the next year?

Christmas.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    christmas of what year?
  • Reply 18 of 18
    I wish they would have released new ipods and imacs, that way the focus would be on Powerbooks, my concern

just hope they dont rush them out and do them right whether its a e600, e700 or G5-Mobile