iBook 600 MHz and Quartz Extreme

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade the ibook's ATI video card with 8 megs of VRAM to 16 megs. I read that this iBook -600MHz, combo drive- has AGP 2x.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    warpdwarpd Posts: 204member
    Sorry to say, no. For all iBooks and Powerbooks (except maybe the 1400??) the Vram is soldered onto the motherboard. Not too worry though, If you pop in a 512mb chip, I am sure that you will still get plenty of life from your book. ENJOY!
  • Reply 2 of 4
    If you have 8Megs of VRAM then you own an 'old' iBook with Rage128 chip which, even if it had or was upgradable to 16MBytes, doesn't support non-powers of 2 textures sizes wichi is required for QE.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Okay, but, and that at the risk of showing my worst side, can't you put in a new video card? I mean, if you have an AGPort, but you can't change your card?? what's that all about?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    warpdwarpd Posts: 204member
    You are thinking of AGP as a slot, as in on the motherboard. It is in fact a fast, graphics dedicated bus (for moving data). On iBooks and Powerbooks, and in fact all laptops, it is an integrated bus which is part of the system board. There is no video card per-se, and no slot. Thus it can only be updated if Apple manufacture a new Motherboard for your iBook. Does that make any sense??

[ 08-06-2002: Message edited by: warpd ]</p>