I still want this

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Not really for MW, but I think when it becomes economically feasible....it would sell.

Apple Video/Audio Hub

Name: iHub (?)

Functions:

1) DVD/CD/VCR. Works like the Pioneer machine on the market today....just like VCR, not just a burning drive. 12 hours recording time...rewritable of course.

2) Commicates with Mac via Airport to play .mp3's through your component system. No need to hold files internally...your Mac takes care of that. It lets you select tracks via an iPod wheel style remote.

3) Able to freeze screen and send it to printer, computer, etc.

4) Able to send video directly to Mac via Airport for editing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    iAgree. iThink it would be great for a future iPod revision that can carry video (I'm sure we'll get there eventually) to have some sort of dock like this available.

That will be all - nothing to add, just offering my support

I know, I even shocked myself with this one - not the ranting Spiff we're used to. I guess flying in and out of airports all day will do that to you. Maybe I should sleep instead of catching up on all the missed action?...

Nah.

-S
  • Reply 2 of 8
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    It should support EVERY DVD standard. It'll be expensive to liscence the three major competing technologies, but if people will pay $1000 for it, you could do it.

Let's see.

Another additional ability : TV recording like the TiVo or like a programmable VCR.

In three years (I don't see this product arriving any sooner than that. "This one is big. Even by our standards" mean G5, not video station) I imagine you can get a 200 GB hard drive for a few hundred dollars. you can store TV recording on that.

This product will be about as versatile and powerful as a 2002 iMac. Same CPU but vastly different other hardware, such as hardware DVD encoding and decoding, quality hardware audio, and TV components.

I wonder if OS X is up to the task of being an entertainment center... yeah, it is. Put an appropriately consumer-friendly face on it, and it's ready to go.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Apple should be staying away from set-top boxes like this. Look at the HP de100c...an utter failure. Look at ReplayTV (especially the new 4000 series from SonicBlue,) great products but no broad acceptance.

By VCR, I hope you mean DVR, and not VHS...heh.

AirPort would need a huge speed boost to be able to handle transfer of average DV stream sized files. It would take too long to be convenient or feasible, even with 100Base-T terrestrial network connections.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Not gonna happen, ever.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Steve Jobs sees no convergence between the TV's and computers. At one point he said something along the lines of "You go to the TV to turn your mind off, you go to the Computer to turn your mind on" This and Apple has not indicated in any way that TV was any part in its digital Hub strategy. In many ways, any TV convergence contradicts what the PC being the "Hub" is all about.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by Macintosh:

<strong>Not gonna happen, ever.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That works too...
  • Reply 7 of 8
    aphelionaphelion Posts: 736member
    [quote]Originally posted by Macintosh:

<strong>Not gonna happen, ever.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Then we'll all see Sony leading the way with the Digital Hub of the Digital Lifestyle. A G5 won't mean squat to consumers who will flock to the Sony MX series because it has an FM tuner and TiVo personal video recording coupled with DVD burning.

If Steve Jobs' personal dislike of all things TV keeps the platform out of the mainstream, then we are going to relegated to the backwater niche that we are in until he is gone. Convergence is coming and without TV, Apple is going to miss the boat.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    I still want Natalie Portman too, but we can't have everything.