Connecting an iPod to Windows XP

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I have a 20 gig iPod that I used to use with my Powerbook, but now I want to hook it up to my wife's Dell laptop. Is that possible, what cables do I need and does it have to be reformatted?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    You should be able to hook it up just like you hook it up to your mac. If she doesn't have a firewire port, just use the USB cables.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Okay. Will the iPod be reformatted for Windows, or how does that work?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Since I don't own one, I couldn't tell you for sure, but in all logic it shouldn't have to be
  • Reply 4 of 6
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    if its win formatted it can go back and forth from pc to mac. but, if its mac formatted the pc wont recognize it. so, u need to reformat it, but u will be able to use it on pc and mac once it is win formatted.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Thanks for the help. I think I also need to get a firewire adapter, because the firewire cable that came with the iPod won't fit in my new laptop for some reason...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    Your wife's Dell probably has the little 4pin (non-powered) Firewire port... they really shouldn't call those Firewire or 1394... They should have to have the full functionality of the port to get its name. Just remember... when you use the iPod on your wifes Dell... it'll be running on its own power... not off the notebook... and of course adding tracks to your iPod is one of the most power consuming things you can do.

Does anyone know if anyone other than Apple uses a powered Firewire port for their notebooks? It's a real pain in the butt... you can't use port powered anything on them.