Tiger UI quirk

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
apple has screenshots that show a blue surround arround the now off white apple for the apple menu in tiger, what is with that, now they look like every xp skin that tries to rip off osx. what is with that?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 16
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member




    I assume it serves two purposes: the left, to better distinguish the Apple menu as a menu (something that new users and switchers often don't get), and the right, to emphasize Spotlight --which really and truly *is* an important feature -- so nobody misses it.



    I don't mind the blue ends. Seems like slightly better UI to me.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    No sir, i dont like it.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I don't mind it.



    Besides, these things can change quite a bit before final production.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by MajorMatt

    No sir, i dont like it.



    Why?
  • Reply 5 of 16
    ensoniqensoniq Posts: 128member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Hobbes





    I assume it serves two purposes: the left, to better distinguish the Apple menu as a menu (something that new users and switchers often don't get), and the right, to emphasize Spotlight --which really and truly *is* an important feature -- so nobody misses it.



    I don't mind the blue ends. Seems like slightly better UI to me.




    I agree with Hobbes...I think the two blue ends of the menu bar are to provide a sort of visual "balance". Also...look at all the Apple Stores. The Apple logo has pretty much become the white illuminated apple. The only way to have a white Apple logo on the menu bar is to give it a background color. The aqua blue looks nice to me too.



    -- Ensoniq
  • Reply 6 of 16
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i don't like it because i have been trained ovre the past 10+ years to recognize "white menu bar item against colored background means item has been selected." i'm not saying it isn't apple's prerogative to change the terms of that standard, but, hell, it looks like you've got two brokeen menus in the midst of drop-down (without said dropdowns).



    like i said, if that's what they want to do, it's going to take me a while to get used to that.



    will anyone from the show who got the preview dvd get a chance tto post screenshots of other areas? i am very curious if anythign has happened to the finder, good or bad.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    gibagiba Posts: 99member
    Perhaps they should invert the colors: gray when not selected, blue when selected. More intuitive and subtle.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    I dont like it because of the aforementioned years of training the traditional Apple menu has provided. In addition, it is not too visually pleasing as the traditional simple Apple logo.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    westonmwestonm Posts: 140member
    I think it would be neat if all the menus got more of that "glassy" finish. The menus will seem pretty flat compared to everything else if Tiger keeps this menu bar.



    Not that I care that much either way, I would just like to it one way or the other, not a mix.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,737member
    I certainly hope the dashboard widgets and the UI get changed before production. Dashboard is just plain ugly. I think the menu bar quirk is only to highlight pre release software.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Hobbes

    ....



    To quote the Black Eyeed Peas,



    This is retarded,

    This is retarded right here

    yea, that is retarded

    that is retarded right there



    or something like that.





    My main complaint is that that is what every apple knock-off xp thime does for the start button, it seems like an authentic knockoff (is that possible?)
  • Reply 12 of 16
    It would be much better if the blue was pink and the white was lime green! That would rock!
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

    Originally posted by talksense101

    I certainly hope the dashboard widgets and the UI get changed before production. Dashboard is just plain ugly.



    Erkk... me too! Hopefully, seems like it's easy as hell to program widgets (XML + Javascript, I think)...



    Quote:

    I think the menu bar quirk is only to highlight pre release software.



    I don't think so (I might be wrong though)... what's so wrong with it? Anyway, that might be a customizable feature too. Let's wait for the developers' feedback before yelling!
  • Reply 14 of 16
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by The One to Rescue

    Erkk... me too! Hopefully, seems like it's easy as hell to program widgets (XML + Javascript, I think)...





    I don't think so (I might be wrong though)... what's so wrong with it? Anyway, that might be a customizable feature too. Let's wait for the developers' feedback before yelling!




    I posted on this in another thread, but I think it bears repeating. Widgets look like widgets because they're widgets. They are NOT part of the OS, and in most cases not designed by Apple. There little, easily made, home-grown mini-apps from people like you and me. Konfabulator was/is a way to sort and turn on/off these mini-apps, Dashboard is an alternative method for sorting them.



    The whole Fonfab vs. Apple thing seems pretty absurd, unless I'm just crazy.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Sport73

    I posted on this in another thread, but I think it bears repeating. Widgets look like widgets because they're widgets. They are NOT part of the OS, and in most cases not designed by Apple. There little, easily made, home-grown mini-apps from people like you and me. Konfabulator was/is a way to sort and turn on/off these mini-apps, Dashboard is an alternative method for sorting them.



    The whole Fonfab vs. Apple thing seems pretty absurd, unless I'm just crazy.




    I agree, but the calculator, for instance, is an Apple-made widget, and my opinion is that for an Apple widget, it's just plain ugly! With or without Dashboard, the calculator has NEVER been part of the OS, but that's not a reason for Apple to make it look awful (by the way, the current calculator looks nice, though not a part of the system : delete it and everything else will work all the same... just an app)
  • Reply 16 of 16
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Hobbes





    ... (something that new users and switchers often don't get), and the right, to emphasize Spotlight --which really and truly *is* an important feature.





    I think apple is going to embrace switchers to much. Apple should have more selfconfidence with there own UI inventions.



    I really love the clearness of the main menue bar. Therefore, the top left apple logo is not a substitute of the "start button".





    Quote:

    I don't mind the blue ends. Seems like slightly better UI to me.



    It disturbs me.
Sign In or Register to comment.