Net connection trouble with Panther

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am having IT problems at home and am desperately trying to sort it out! I didn?t know if any of you have come across this problem and could suggest anything.....no-one seems to be able to help!

I am having horrendous problems with my connection to the internet on the mac I have at home (G4 tower) since upgrading to panther. I have a USB broadband modem with tiscali which worked on the machine before panther and also worked on a mac G3 laptop. My broadband suppliers supply instructions to set up on macs but no tech support for macs! gggrrr

I have called a friend who is a bit of a mac geek and he ran through all the settings and cant work out whats going wrong. I have checked all the PPPoE settings against what I had before which worked etc but it says it cannot access a PPPoE server and to check my settings.

If I try and set up the connection with the 'Assist me' network wizard it automatically sets up the TCP/IP settings as Using DHCP not PPPoE. If I try and connect this way the status says that its a self assigned IP address and it cant connect

Anyway, I need to know if theres any support available apart from hiring a IT type person to come and sit in my flat!!!!

If theres no way I can resolve this I am going to get rid of the mac because this is ridiculous!!! I have spent over 10 hours in front of the machine trying to sort this one problem out and caaaaaaaan't!

Ok rant over

*deep breath*

Any ideas????

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by kittyvonsometime

I am having IT problems at home... Any ideas????

It sounds like you have a non static-IP DSL account which requires connection via PPoE, as I do, from Verizon.

I take it you were making the PPoE connection via the Mac's network panel, and that the modem was a basic DSL modem like Verizon used to give out.

So if your old modem just hates Panther's correctly set PPoE settings (an assumption*) can you use a different modem?

The Verizon plain DSL modem is an ethernet Westell Infospeed B90-36R515-01 and it worked fine on my mac until I decided I wanted to have two macs on line, so I got a new modem. Now they give out a Westell 2200, which performs the PPoE connection, (after config thru IP address to this modem/router), and my Mac connects via DHCP now.

So I was going to list my old B90 on ebay or just chuck my old DSL modem, want it? Does anyone think it or a different DSL modem will work for kitty (who provides your connection, ask them about alternate modems (hence the above modem # info)?

Or is it possible you do not have the PPoE settings* correct in Panther for your USB modem? Does the modem have an ethernet connection you can try?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    thanks for that. i actually found a perfect solution on this - for anyone else who has problems....

http://www.modemhelp.net/vblite/show...?threadid=2140

but now am having a NIGHTMARE with webcam....see my other thread..

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=43669

i seriously need help with this as my boyf lives in another country and cam is the way we can talk when apart....