Tiger server: thoughts?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
linky

i must say apple have stepped up to the plate with this -- a couple of top features for enterprise level customers.

ichat server could be a *winner*

the permissions manager is something i've been after for a long time (wish this was available in normal Tiger, as my server runs normal and not server OS)

home directory syncing

any thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    I particularly like Mobile Home Directories, Software Update Server and ACL compatible with Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP ACLs. The last of them will be greatly appreciated by non-Mac IT staff.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

linkyi must say apple have stepped up to the plate with this -- a couple of top features for enterprise level customers.

ichat server could be a *winner*

True, but I think they should built real (standards based) collaboration functionality into it.

Quote:

the permissions manager is something i've been after for a long time (wish this was available in normal Tiger, as my server runs normal and not server OS)

If you are talking about access lists then they will also be available in the non-server Tiger version according to Jobs's keynote.

Quote:

home directory syncing

This feature will be available with .Mac (or any WebDAV-based server for that matter).

I don't have any hands-on experience with the server version, but form looking at the manuals and Apple's website, it lets you store the users' home directory on a central server and further more lets you administer user profiles centrally.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RolandG

This feature will be available with .Mac (or any WebDAV-based server for that matter).

No, .Mac syncing won't sync all of your home folder (according to the preview).

I'm looking forward to home folder syncing, blog server, local software update server, and high availability failover.