Xcode 2.0

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
So, aside from the info on this page, what's the word on it?

Curious that Jobs barely even mentioned XCode in the keynote, considering how much emphasis was placed on XCode at the last WWDC...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

So, aside from the info on this page, what's the word on it?

Curious that Jobs barely even mentioned XCode in the keynote, considering how much emphasis was placed on XCode at the last WWDC...

Not curious at all. Xcode was new last year. It is improved this year. It does not contribute to Apple's revenue stream. There are numerous sessions in which the people who matter at the WWDC, the developers, will learn much of what they need to know about the new Xcode.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Well, he's speaking to a room full of 3500 developers. And Xcode 2.0 has some significant improvements... So you'd think he might spend a minute or two on it. I do find that a bit curious.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    There's plenty of sessions on Xcode so i'm suprised. Steve really wanted to get the new stuff out and announce that SDKs where available for Spotlight, Automator and Core Image. I'm sure they'll take Xcode sessions and like what they see.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I'm stoked that XCode 2.0 will "auto-vectorize" your code to take advantage of AltiVec. That's seriously cool.

Although, the geek in me still likes to code ASM from time to time.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    The auto-vectorization is not just cool, it's damned amazing. From what I've heard, it's amazingly good at it too, much better than anyone expected something like that to be in a free compiler.

For comparison, autovec is a feature only generally found until now in compilers for massively parallel supercomputers, where the compiler alone might cost you five figures *per seat* over and above the cost of the hardware.