The Corporation

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Another great movie coming this summer.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/indepe...rporation.html

This looks better than F911 and the Hunting of the President in many ways since it actually exposes the corrupt nature of the system.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I dunno, I prefer to get information of this type from sources other than film. Film is such a non-informative medium. It's the same reason that TV news sucks compared to written news.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I dunno, I prefer to get information of this type from sources other than film. Film is such a non-informative medium. It's the same reason that TV news sucks compared to written news.

That is a ridiculous statment. Comparing independent film to network television is impossible. Truly independent cinema is not funded by major corporations while TV news most certainly is.

Do you not think that written news is influenced by the same interests as television news? The same media conglomerates that run the networks run the major papers as well.

I haved seen Manufacturing Consent and it was very good and very informative. I look forward to seeing this new film.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by buckeye

That is a ridiculous statment. Comparing independent film to network television is impossible. Truly independent cinema is not funded by major corporations while TV news most certainly is.

Do you not think that written news is influenced by the same interests as television news? The same media conglomerates that run the networks run the major papers as well.

I haved seen Manufacturing Consent and it was very good and very informative. I look forward to seeing this new film.

I have no doubt that you're right about the news media and major papers, and how different they are from independent film. But I'm comparing the mediums, not the funding source. Film and TV are both visual mediums, and therefore less efficient at providing information than a written medium, and better at tugging emotions.

I haven't seen F911, but I just get this feeling from the trailer and the reviews that it's not really informative. I don't get worked up about it like some people here do, and I'll probably catch it on DVD some day, but I sincerely doubt I'd really learn anything from it. Sure, he can make Bush look like a dolt, and he can use 7 visual minutes of Bush doing nothing at a school while the 9/11 attacks were occurring to really drive home his point that Bush is a bad president or whatever. But I'd rather use the internet to read and debate stuff to come to conclusions about those issues.

I just think I could learn much more about the issue of corporate abuse (or whatever this is about) in 2 hours of googling and reading blogs and think-tank websites, and debating it here on the internet, than in a movie. That's not to say I would never see it though.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Quote:

I just think I could learn much more about the issue of corporate abuse (or whatever this is about) in 2 hours of googling and reading blogs and think-tank websites, and debating it here on the internet, than in a movie. That's not to say I would never see it though.

I agree to an extent. I get a lot of information from the internet, but isn't it nice to get out of the house once in awhile and see a movie that is entertaining and thought provoking?

You can't often get the tone of someone's speech when you read it off of a page/screen.

The cinema has and always will be a very Powerful medium of expression do to its ability to capture actual moments combined with the nature of editing.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    F 9/11 probably isn't too informative to anyone who spends all their time hanging out here (most of what the film had to say had already been discussed to death on AO over the last year)...but I reckon a lot of people who don't waste their time arging politics and prefer the sports section to the front page are going to come out with a lot more questions about what's been going on in the US over the last three years.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:

I have no doubt that you're right about the news media and major papers, and how different they are from independent film. But I'm comparing the mediums, not the funding source. Film and TV are both visual mediums, and therefore less efficient at providing information than a written medium, and better at tugging emotions.

Some people, like myself, need a visual component to facilitate the learning process. A picture is worth a thousand words so they say. Also, you can read a black and white newspaper column about bombs being dropped on a building but to adequatly convey the mayhem and distruction that ensues a moving visual component is needed. Regardless of the medium everyone should be wary of the possibility that the information is being distorted by the reporters or editors own view points.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Are these the same corporations that pay everyones salary, health insurance, and makes their 401Ks fat? THEY MUST BE STOPPED!
  • Reply 8 of 16
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Welcome, Binary Scott!
  • Reply 9 of 16
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Call me binary? What forum are you posting in. Maybe I'll try to be more neuanced in the future.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

F 9/11 probably isn't too informative to anyone who spends all their time hanging out here (most of what the film had to say had already been discussed to death on AO over the last year)...but I reckon a lot of people who don't waste their time arging politics and prefer the sports section to the front page are going to come out with a lot more questions about what's been going on in the US over the last three years.

Obviously, people here on AO do not represent the majority of Americans. TV news is so uninformative, even manipulative, that a very large majority of the population were convinced, largely by the media's deference towards the Bush administration's point of view. that 80% of the US public in a poll thought there were Iraqis on those 9-11 airplanes, and over 60% thought that Saddam Hussein had some personal responsibility for 9-11. If the US public were so unaware of the really basic fundamental stuff, then how do you expect them to aware of the convoluted business relationships between Bush, Cheney, James R. Bath, the bin Laden family, the Carlyle group, the Saudi royalty, and thousand and one other things that would look the Bush crew look like a bunch of traitors. At least Moore did touch on it during the movie...including how the White House had tried to erase the Bath connection on Bush's military records. Most people probably had no clue about the stuiff Moore touched on, maybe because it is not covered in the "liberal" (!!) media. And coming to think about it....recall that National Geographic survey 18 months or so back? Just one year after the 9-11 attacks, only 17% of young adults could find Afghanistan on the map. Go figure.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...perSurvey.html
  • Reply 11 of 16
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Binary Scott!

You put the jerk in knee-jerk. Just kiddin. That's a funny one though, gotta stick it in my sig...Scott you're taking up too much of my sig you gotta stop!
  • Reply 12 of 16
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Binary Scott!

You put the jerk in knee-jerk. Just kiddin. That's a funny one though, gotta stick it in my sig...Scott you're taking up too much of my sig you gotta stop!

Come now Aquatic. Scott was being quite right in that the movie trailer didn't appear to condemn a certain corporation for certain actions. Rather it condemned pretty much all corporations and the entire profit motive.

Nick
  • Reply 13 of 16
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Come now Aquatic. Scott was being quite right in that the movie trailer didn't appear to condemn a certain corporation for certain actions. Rather it condemned pretty much all corporations and the entire profit motive.

Nick

This is exactly why the movie looks so great. It doesn't attack a specific entity (except perhaps the western governments), but rather the corrupt nature of the capitalistic system that entitles corporations the same rights as people while ignoring real people's rights.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Is "Binary Scott" a form of Scott subject to very black and white thinking, or a weaponized form of Scott stored as two separate, relatively safe components which become troll-like when mixed?
  • Reply 15 of 16
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Humorous that Scott, who would likely contend that there are corporations of various level of benefit to humanity is portrayed as being inflexible in his thinking while those who contend all corporations are bad consider themselves to be flexible thinkers who see more than two options. Sadly even two options are to wide a scope for their thinking. They are limited to one option. All corporations are bad.

Nick
  • Reply 16 of 16
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Uh oh. Trumptman's ranting about imaginary people again.