Rendezvous now for Windows

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
macminute is reporting that rendezvous for windows is now available as a SDK. pretty cool stuff. anyways...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Saw that on MacNN too. If this means that my windows brethren can now type MyG4.local and hit my PowerMac I'm a happy camper.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    It's funny, Rendevouz has been available for Windows, and Linux, and every other platform out there, in the form of the pieces, all available as open source projects... no one else has *BOTHERED*.

Sad that Apple not only had to show them the way, but then lead them down the path by their widdle hands. Cripes.

It's things like that that make me wonder if the open source community really is any better for creating real competition and innovation. I mean come *ON*... they had *ALL* the pieces, right there, Apple showed them how to put them together, and they *STILL* couldn't be bothered, even when many of them were drooling for it? Jeez.

Vision trumps ideology, yet again.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    I think this is great news - I've never been able to get my Mac and my wife's PC talking properly, so hopefully this will make things work smoothly .

Dave.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    YEA...if this works as great on windows as it does on mac, My networking headache will soon be a memory!!!

GO APPLE, today networking tomorow the rest of the OS
  • Reply 5 of 16
    regreg Posts: 832member
    It will be nice to get my windows machines printing from the extreme printer. Now if they can figure a way to get our old iMacs running 9.2 to print to the extreme printer.

reg
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Kickaha: At the consumer level, I've never been convinced that the so-called open source movement is much more than intellectual property theft.

But on topic: anything that will make Windows users (and particularly administrators) see that Mac plays well with others has got to be a good thing.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Saw that on MacNN too. If this means that my windows brethren can now type MyG4.local and hit my PowerMac I'm a happy camper.

Would they even need to type anything? I would think it should just show up.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by failedmathematician

Kickaha: At the consumer level, I've never been convinced that the so-called open source movement is much more than intellectual property theft.

I disagree vehemently. The open source community has produced some phenomenally good software, but what they lack is singular large-scale vision, something that commercial companies can do much better. For small to medium sized projects, open source can work great. In many cases, it can do so more efficiently than with industry overhead and red tape. For large projects? Not so much.

Any IP theft has been both ways, with the caveat that OSS theft of commercial ideas usually results in lawsuits, while the other way around usually results in the company walking away from it... :P
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

I disagree vehemently. The open source community has produced some phenomenally good software

Not to be a bitch, but can you name some? I mean any with a GUI? I can't think of anything that I like. But I don't doubt you.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    I said *small*, without *vision*... GUIs almost require vision.

Mac small dev software looks good *ONLY* because Apple provides a) basically everything you need, b) makes it easy to use, c) makes it FRICKIN' HARD to bypass and do another way. Apple has the vision, but lends it out to everyone else.

NOBODY on the OSS side has that boost. Qt? GTK? Bleah. They all look like ass. Consequently, each developer has to come up with something that looks like what *they* want... and it all looks like ass. No large-scale vision.

But there are many good projects. Ethereal is one that comes to mind. Small, focussed, and solving a specific class of problem exceptionally well.

The GUIs I've seen for it still look like ass though.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Sorry. My original statement came out a little too extreme.

Plenty of good open source software out there.

What I meant was what seems to be the underlying core philosophy of open source: that all software is meant to be free. This maybe works for small projects, but there is a real need for software companies for the big projects.

GIMP, OpenOffice, Blender, various Linux desktop environments: they all take from the competition, but they don't give anything new back. These are just the ones I know about-- I'm sure there is a blatant ripoff of iPhoto and iTunes in Linux as well.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Sorry. My original statement came out a little too extreme.

Plenty of good open source software out there.

What I meant was what seems to be the underlying core philosophy of open source: that all software is meant to be free. This maybe works for small projects, but there is a real need for software companies for the big projects.

On that we agree completely. Both have their place, and their strengths. Either would be weaker without the other.

Quote:

GIMP, OpenOffice, Blender, various Linux desktop environments: they all take from the competition, but they don't give anything new back. These are just the ones I know about-- I'm sure there is a blatant ripoff of iPhoto and iTunes in Linux as well. [/B]

Ayup. Very very blatant.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Ok, I get ya now.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

GIMP, OpenOffice, Blender, various Linux desktop environments: they all take from the competition, but they don't give anything new back.

But many open source projects do.

Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Not to be a bitch, but can you name some? I mean any with a GUI? I can't think of anything that I like. But I don't doubt you.

The mozilla project.

In fact, I could name a few that you've never, ever heard of but are very important and influential in the areas they matter.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quicktime

Quicktime Pro

QT 6 MPEG-2 Playback

Filemaker

WebObjects

iTunes

Rendezvous

what's next?

iChat

Remote Desktop

Safari

Appleworks

Final Cut Express

iLife apps

hhmmm, maybe lonnngggggg way down the road Mac OS?

When the core architecture used for Windows cpu's changes(rumbles of dual core cpu's already surfacing, what else may change?), what happens then? Backwards compatibility issues for the then current windows software applications? Window of opportunity? (pardon the pun)

I intentionally left off the higher end apps like Shake, Final Cut Pro, etc. Doubt these will migrate in my lifetime. Makes me wonder though.

(d#$n, now where did I leave that prozac)

• Reply 16 of 16
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    iChat....

I HATE the fact that my windows using friends cant video con with me and vide versa....

or would be nice if the MS Messenger people would get the Mac version to work with an iSight (on Mac and PC)