Quartz Composer in Tiger?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Dammit! Now i'm curious about this product. So this app integrates the Core APIs but in what ways? Man the thing I hate the most about WWDC is the NDAs. Something tells me we're only scratching the surface of Tiger right now. Incidentally I expected performance to suck on the preview but many are reporting decent speeds.

Quote:

posted by gardenhose:

I know it's probably taboo to talk about it, but I just saw this app and so far it's the best thing in Tiger. It's definitely new and it integrates all the Core* things (not so much CoreAudio, but when it does it's a Max/Jitter killer.) The UI is awesome. I'm in love.

From this Mach Ach thread

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    That doesn't really make sense. "integrates all the Core* things"? I thought the Core things were just calls you could make from within your app to play with audio/video/images. What does it mean to "integrate" those APIs? Maybe he just saw someone playing with that app that Schiller used in the keynote. Or maybe it was the new xcode.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    No, a demo app written to use those APIs, to show what they can do... and the source code to show developers how to do it in their own apps. Apple ships *dozens* if not *hundreds* of such apps to developers. Sometimes there are some amazing gems in them... and sometimes just they alone would have been worthy of commercial product status just a few years, or even months, ago.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

That doesn't really make sense. "integrates all the Core* things"? I thought the Core things were just calls you could make from within your app to play with audio/video/images. What does it mean to "integrate" those APIs? Maybe he just saw someone playing with that app that Schiller used in the keynote. Or maybe it was the new xcode.

Whatever it is it's got this developers attention. I'm not suprised that it's not getting any press due to NDAs. I'm trying to flesh out Apple's strategy on the Core Trio(Audio, Image and Video). They must have some grand plan for them that encompasses the use of this app. He distinctly mentions a nice UI that he likes a lot. I wonder if this is something that needs to be downloaded from the Developer Connection site and isn't on the CD.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    I think your not getting it. Quartz Composer is just a application to TEST out coreimage and corevideo. IT IS NOT designed to be some Apple program that's going to turn into something distrubuted. It's a "test" app that doesn't do anything, except let you see how the effects of core work. That's it. It's for developers only. It's just like that bomb.app they used to include that let you crash the finder.

Nothing more.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    What he said.

There are dozens of simple little funky apps on the dev site buried in various SDKs. Some of them have kick-ass innovative UI design. Some don't. All are just to show you how to use the underlying technologies, that's all.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Ahhh man thanks for bringing me back to Earth...you stinkers.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Just doing our jobs...
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Thanks Eug!

Found QuartzComposer. Looks like Apple has either purchased or rebranded PixelShox. It's a nifty looking app.

http://www.pol-online.net/pixelshox_...logy/index.php

Quote:

PixelShox Studio's revolutionary new approach in 2D/3D animation creation helps both novice and professional users in designing complex and interactive video effects through an intuitive Aqua interface.

Such animations are rendered in real-time on the computer's screen thanks to OpenGL and can be used either for personal enjoyment, or professionally in any project where interactive visuals are required: VJing, multimedia installations, presentations, concerts...

Quote:

Completely hardware accelerated and using fully the latest Mac OS X technologies (OpenGL, CoreAudio, CoreMIDI, Cocoa...), this node-based 2D/3D video animation tool unleashes your creative inspiration with more than a 100 plug-ins (from basic mathematic operators to live video import), virtually unlimited number of compositions and layers, well-designed user-interface and great performances even on low-end machines!

PixelShox Studio is built on top of the PixelShox 3D Engine, a highly-flexible and extensible plug-in based OpenGL engine, designed to take advantage of the latest and upcoming technologies.

Heheheheh Apple snags this guys talent and the product. Note the node based linkage on the lower pic. Apple's going to incorporate this somewhere perhaps Motion 2 or something. I'm definitely excited. They call if a VJ app which I believe is a Video Jockey app for mixing video live. Or could we be looking at the next iApp? It's a little complex for that but who knows?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I'm trying to flesh out Apple's strategy on the Core Trio(Audio, Image and Video).

I may be way off or right on, but my thought was that they could use these tech's in Final Cut pro, imovie, iphoto, itunes, soundtrack, garageband. About every product to increase speed, and functionallity.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Altivec_2.0

I may be way off or right on, but my thought was that they could use these tech's in ...

Could? Could?!?!? Try somewhere between damned well better and no freaking duh.

Methinks iPhoto's image editor, in particular, is going to get a huge boost in iLife '05.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Well I'm thinking Apple acquired this programmers talents and code for Pixelshox.

Apple is probably using the Pixelshox(Quartz Composer) as an internal demo of the the power of Core API. This guy is a top notch OpenGL programmer with experience programming GPU. Definitely the kind of person you want on staff.

Keep in mind those of you with capable Macs can download and unlimited Pixelshox verison at the link below and try it out.

http://www.pol-online.net/pixelshox_..._0.92b.dmg.sit
  • Reply 12 of 12
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Hm, 3D engine? not for a Maya killer, but as another app/component for video content creation. Core3D? Interesting find.