Streaming Music Wirelessly To Stereo

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Is there any thing out there that I can plug into my stereo which will receive an Airport signal so that I can wirelessly stream music from my iBook to the receiver?

Basically, what I would like to do is use my stereo as my "sound out" without having to be physically connected to it.

Thanks.

[Edit: Corrected typo in subject]

[ 08-10-2002: Message edited by: Nobody Special ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    [quote]Originally posted by Nobody Special:

<strong>Is there any thing out there that I can plug into my stereo which will receive an Airport signal so that I can wirelessly stream music from my iBook to the receiver?

Basically, what I would like to do is use my stereo as my "sound out" without having to be physically connected to it.

Thanks.

[Edit: Corrected typo in subject]

[ 08-10-2002: Message edited by: Nobody Special ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

There are wireless video streaming devices that use RCA A/V jacks (the round plugs on the front of your TV, yellow is video, white and red are left and right stereo). I'm sure that you could use JUST the audio ones (red and white) and it would work fine. Of course you'd need to get something to covert the headphone jack of your audio out into the RCA stereo plugs. You can get all of this stuff at your local Radio Shack or Best Buy.

Note: I'm not sure if it will work for JUST the audio without the video, but it's worth a try if you don't find anything else.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    You could always try an FM transmitter. You plug it into your iBook, and it transmits the sound on an FM frequency. Then, you just tune your stereo to that frequency. However, I've heard that FM transmitters have a very limited range (about 5 feet), so that may be a problem.

-Mike
  • Reply 3 of 3
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    FM transmitters will work for something like 100 feet depending on what is between the transmitter and the receiver. I haven't fooled with one for a long time. It work better if you could find one that was crystal stabilized. Most of the ones I've seen are quite cheap and just use a simple capacitor for tuning which means the tuning frequency tends to drift. The normal application for these is to connect a CD player or similar to a car stereo. Try Radio Shack.