Tiger Secrets

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Tiger (OS X 10.4) will include:

+A new Graphical User Interface; current builds are strictly core technologies, all new and updated workfaces will be revamped for the final release. The new GUI is codenamed "Hasbra," and will deliver a new look and feel which will be consistant through the entire OS.

+Active Desktops: Will offer the chance for developers and 3rd party software creators to design 'living' backgrounds; adding to the look and feel of the industry leading GUI of OS X.

+Apple HFS filesystem will be replaced with the new world "Red Globe" file system from Neosystems. Apple has been working carefully with Neosystems to develope and combine an entirely new architecture. Red Globe is currently the fastest filesystem in the world, and has support for FSV 3.1, and DNN apro/1.33

+The dock will sport a combination of new features.

These features are valid, and have been kept in secrecy by Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Quote:

Originally posted by juan carlos

+Apple HFS filesystem will be replaced with the new world "Red Globe" file system from Neosystems. Apple has been working carefully with Neosystems to develope and combine an entirely new architecture. Red Globe is currently the fastest filesystem in the world, and has support for FSV 3.1, and DNN apro/1.33

Does a new filesystem mean that you have to erase your old system completely, even for an update ? Is it backwards compatible ? Will it be faster than Longhorn's new filesystem ? Why does Apple keep such an important feature on such a low profile ?
  • Reply 2 of 14
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

The new GUI is codenamed "Hasbra,"

Err, who has bra?

Seriously though, do you have any inside info or just speculating?
  • Reply 3 of 14
    frenchmacfrenchmac Posts: 89member
    Cannot find any reference to Red Globe from Neosystems on google... and never heard of it either... Is it really valid ?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by FrenchMac

Cannot find any reference to Red Globe from Neosystems on google... and never heard of it either... Is it really valid ?

I found a dozen of Neosystems and none of them is related to any serious system software development. Maybe, this?

The original poster somehow sounds like sh!t with his Active Desktops (Dashboard?) and Red Globe (Red Hat Global File System (GFS)?). Let him either say more or shut up for ever.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

Err, who has bra?

Seriously though, do you have any inside info or just speculating?

I think he meant Hasbro - Windows has the Fisher-Price interface and Mac OS X will get the Hasbro interface
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

I think he meant Hasbro - Windows has the Fisher-Price interface and Mac OS X will get the Hasbro interface

Ah, yes, of course! How could that slip my mind?

Hmmm, I just can't mentally connect the FSV (btw, the latest version is 0.9) and the DNN (Disobey Nonsense Network). Anyone knows how they relate to each other?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

+A new Graphical User Interface; current builds are strictly core technologies, all new and updated workfaces will be revamped for the final release. The new GUI is codenamed "Hasbra," and will deliver a new look and feel which will be consistant through the entire OS.

+Active Desktops: Will offer the chance for developers and 3rd party software creators to design 'living' backgrounds; adding to the look and feel of the industry leading GUI of OS X.

Pure bullshit! An OS sporting a new GUI wouldn't be dubbed 10.4 but 11.

Active Desktops? Go back playing with your Windows XP PC...

New filesystem? Without announcing that at a DEVELOPER conference? Come on, I don't think Steve Jobs wants to kill the platform!!

New dock features? Yeah, why not!
  • Reply 8 of 14
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

The gloss seen in several screen shots is not in the Dev build. I vote yes, it will get a facelift but will not be radically different.

Quote:

Dashboard is setting up a new form of application (not mere Widgets). The WebKit-in-a-custom-window opens up tons of possible uses, one of which is an Active Desktop situation. After all, Dashboard as demoed IS Active Desktop, just hovering over it not on/under it. Dashboard is only a hint at what Gadgets will do.

Quote:

I don't doubt this. Developing Spotlight is only a half step to the problem. This would be the other shoe dropping.

Quote:

Think Dashboard's black control/menu/palette thingy.

This Juan guy is okay in my book.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by The One to Rescue

New filesystem? Without announcing that at a DEVELOPER conference? Come on, I don't think Steve Jobs wants to kill the platform!!

Apple makes updates along the way, via ADC and issues new CD/DVDs too. We have what, 9-12 months to go?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Apple makes updates along the way, via ADC and issues new CD/DVDs too. We have what, 9-12 months to go?

Still, a new filesystem is definitely a HUGE update for developers. Not telling them about it at the WWDC is suicide, IMO!

I don't doubt they'll change the FS, but not in Tiger. Apple has always made the development of Mac OS X incremental : add a cool feature, and then extend it thanks to the feedback given by the users and the developers.

The GUI thing is more arguable. After all, they had managed to keep Aqua secret until the very last moment, so why not! But same feeling as you, johnq, Aqua is not old enough (and not outdated at all) to be replaced. So I vote for a facelift, only. Certainly a small one. Maybe a big one (pie menus would definitely be SWEET!!!!!)...
  • Reply 11 of 14
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    pie menus? yum?
  • Reply 12 of 14
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

I went up to my friend Sanchez the other day and I said "goony-goo-goo"...he said "get da fuck outta here."
  • Reply 13 of 14
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Please lock this. This same post on macnn from a "Jason Fanginelli"

Some people have no lives.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    "Hasbra" indeed. Silly troll.