New iMac's in Sept - **CONFIRMED**

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Just check the Apple Store, and select iMac.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 302
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    Is this really Apple, where they tell us what's coming?

Where am I?
  • Reply 2 of 302
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member

Nice catch

Were they hacked? Seems like the anti-aliasing on the graphic kinda sucks.

What if this GNAA thing goes deep into Apple's website team?
  • Reply 3 of 302
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Now that is both strange and cool. For anyone who doesn't want to check the link themselves, what it says is that they are no longer taking iMac orders since a new model will be "announced and available" in September and that Apple had planned to have the new model ready by now but that something went wrong and they apologize.

So I wonder if they are holding off on the announcement since they want instant availability or because they are scared of something else going wrong.
  • Reply 4 of 302
    shroudshroud Posts: 30member
    I thought you were just going to mention about shipping dates or something along those lines. This is interesting, it's the first time I remember seeing Apple announce an impending release of a product like this. (aside from the premature specification ) Regardless, it has my interest peaked. Since it won't ship until september I hope that Apple will blur the line, temporarily, between it and the low end powermac and offer some great improvements.
  • Reply 5 of 302
    macflymacfly Posts: 256member
    has anyone called apple to confirm this?
  • Reply 6 of 302
    Looks like the notice is only up at US and Canada stores. You can still buy an iMac in Japan and Europe.
  • Reply 7 of 302
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    A note is also posted on the iMac page under Hardware. I definitely believe this is real.

My guess is that IBM missed delivery of enough low-power G5 chips. Rather than introducing the iMacs at WWDC they're gonna do it in a few months when they can ship them or ship them soon.
  • Reply 8 of 302
    The wording is very poor.

I vote hack. (not really)

Quote:

(transcribed)

iMac

Apple has stopped taking orders for the current imac as we begin the transition from the current iMac line to an all-new iMac line which will be announced and available in September.

We planned to have our next generation iMac ready by the time the inventory of current iMacs runs out in the next few weeks, but our planning was obviously less than perfect.

We apologize for any inconvenience to our customers.

Just feels odd...why tell us? Won't this make the remaining iMac sell even more slowly? Doesn't add up...

Apple...admit a mistake?

Apple...APOLOGIZE?
  • Reply 9 of 302
    alephaleph Posts: 15member
    Only in the US store, folks.

Maybe a hacker indeed. (or the rest of the world has to catch up )

Correction: It's also in the US educational store. I guess it will be true after all.

A new iMac will make sense with the current model being outperformed by the cheaper eMac and the recent update for the G5s.
  • Reply 10 of 302
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    That's amazing! Gotta mean G5 iMacs, new form factor?
  • Reply 11 of 302
    kumrabaikumrabai Posts: 66member
    I buy the hacking argument - doesn't seem right. Why the apologies?

Quote:

Originally posted by Gabid

Now that is both strange and cool. For anyone who doesn't want to check the link themselves, what it says is that they are no longer taking iMac orders since a new model will be "announced and available" in September and that Apple had planned to have the new model ready by now but that something went wrong and they apologize.

So I wonder if they are holding off on the announcement since they want instant availability or because they are scared of something else going wrong.

• Reply 12 of 302
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    The site was not hacked. I have confirmation. I vote that Apple has one more ACD screen to release (hint, a 17") and that they will use make use of the VESA mount and make us proud.
  • Reply 13 of 302
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Just feels odd...why tell us? Won't this make the remaining iMac sell even more slowly? Doesn't add up...

They're probably just out of them.
  • Reply 14 of 302
    3.14163.1416 Posts: 120member
    The wording is odd, but I'm tentatively voting real. The image comes from an Akamai server, so an outside attacker would have to both get the image uploaded and edit the WebObjects components displaying the page, which are almost certainly not on the webservers themselves. It *could* be an inside job, but every minute that passes without it being corrected makes it more likely to be real.
  • Reply 15 of 302
    Quote:

Originally posted by kumrabai

Why the apologies? Isn't there a quarterly results conference call coming up shortly? if yes, with such low stock of iMacs and with so many predicting new models, perhaps they want to reassure investors.
  • Reply 16 of 302
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    They must have truly screwed up and have no stock left at all!

I don't think its a hack.
  • Reply 17 of 302
    What if it is due not to IBM but due to display shortages?

If it is headless, you'd want more regular displays than normal. If it isn't headless, you'd have more competition for the display guts to divvy between iMac and Cinema displays.

Then again maybe it doesn't use a display but is a projector and there is a shortage of 1500 lumen bulbs... <-- kidding!
  • Reply 18 of 302
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kumrabai

Um, how about because they actually sold all of the current ones they had? Would it be better if they kept taking orders for two months for a product that was sold out? Maybe we'll see some big discounts from third-party vendors on the current models now...
  • Reply 19 of 302
    kumrabaikumrabai Posts: 66member
    Looked again. This is soooooo hacked. Why leave the specs and prices there? Why be so sure about shipping dates when the new imac hasn't been announced/launched.

Someone's hurtin'

Quote:

Originally posted by 3.1416

The wording is odd, but I'm tentatively voting real. The image comes from an Akamai server, so an outside attacker would have to both get the image uploaded and edit the WebObjects components displaying the page, which are almost certainly not on the webservers themselves. It *could* be an inside job, but every minute that passes without it being corrected makes it more likely to be real.

• Reply 20 of 302
    3.14163.1416 Posts: 120member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aleph

Only in the US store, folks.

Canada as well, although not Australia or UK. (Yet?)