Network shuts off when Powerbook screen closes

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Is there anyway that I can set my computer to not shut off the network connection when I shut my screen?

I had thought that I set my computer up correctly for this not to happen, but apparently I am mistaken.

Some guidance would be appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    your computer goes to sleep when you shut the screen. if you want to turn on the book without opening the screen, connect a usb keyboard hit a button to wake the computer. no computer can be accessed if it is asleep. it must be woken up so that the hard drive starts spinning.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Also be warned that the primary pipe to get heat out of most Apple laptops is up through the keyboard. So all that heat will be a) trapped, b) hit your screen and heat it up as well. Why's that a problem? Heat destroys LCDs. It's gradual, but each time the screen is heated like that, it degrades it just that much faster. You won't notice it when it happens, but you'll end up with a screen that dims and is less crisp weeks or months earlier than if you hadn't.

But yes, it is possible to keep the machine awake while the lid is closed.

Why can't you just keep the lid open if you need a network connection to be maintained?