New 10.4 features

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
The meta data search feature of Tiger is so similar to the BeOS's Find File function its not funny. If Be Inc was around in a proper form, I think we would see a law suit by now. Also, I think the wider BeOS community could launch a case against Apple for copying an OS feature. MacOS X 10.4 = BeOS 1995.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Probably not.

People have been copying/stealing concepts since day zero and lawsuits just don't work anymore unless it's been properly patented. But you can't patent a concept or idea...only the implementation.

Spotlight is a different implementation in that it's a layer on top of the filesystem. While BeOS' database resided at the filesystem level.

Dominic Giampaolo, the guy behind BeOS' metadata magic back in the days, now works for Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dhunter

The meta data search feature of Tiger is so similar to the BeOS's Find File function its not funny. If Be Inc was around in a proper form, I think we would see a law suit by now. Also, I think the wider BeOS community could launch a case against Apple for copying an OS feature. MacOS X 10.4 = BeOS 1995.

So you're prepared to give us a dissertation on the technical differences between Metadata searches in Tiger versus Metadata searches in Be OS using BFS? Or is this a case on another non-programmer looking at a UI and assuming that things are similar(or stolen even) without grokking the similar or dissimilar aspects of both architectures?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    *bing bing bing* We have a winnah! Give hmurch a kewpie doll.