Fan always on - PowerBook G4 12" with SuperDrive

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
For the last two weeks the fan in my powerbook has been running constantly when I go online and stays on for what seems like ages after I log off. Has anyone else experienced this behavior?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    been posting to AppleInsider a lot?

the animated smilies take up a LOT of CPU when there are more then 3 of them going at once... this problem should be resolved in Tiger (or maybe earlier) but you can temporarily fix it by turning off animated .gifs

install pith helmet and in the play animated gif dropdown menu you should set the option to either never or once...

as an added bonus you can get rid of ads too

edit: errr... after seeing your "registered on" date I don't really think that is the case... hmm... install menumeters and keep an eye on your CPU use while surfing... take note when it is above like 10% or so (assuming you arn't doing anything else on your computer)

thats a good start, what other processes do you have running besides Safari and the Finder?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    recent panther updates have caused a lot of problems for fans in 'books. reset your PRAM by holding down apple+option+P+R while restarting. keep holding them until your mac chimes a couple times. THIS MIGHT RESET SOME PREFS, SO BEWARE.

This tip is from page 25 of the most recent MacAddict that highlights 50 common "problems" with Panther.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    nels0360nels0360 Posts: 1member
    I have the same problem. The fan is on all the time but when I'm using an external display it does come on alot. This is a known issue and supposedly by design. The temp at which the fan comes on can be modified per the instructions on the website below.

http://www.deleet.de/ray/pbfanfix.html