1.25ghz dual processors :)

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
.......well i guess it's going to be "current hardware" tomorrow

Apple will unveil new Power Mac G4 systems tomorrow, MacMinute has learned. Sources inform us that three configurations will be offered: dual-867MHz (US$1,699), dual-1GHz ($2,499), and dual-1.25GHz ($3,299). The dual-1GHz and dual-1.25GHz models will feature ATI Radeon 9000 series graphics cards; additional system-specific details are not available. The dual-867MHz configuration is slated to ship by the end of the week, while the new dual-1GHz model will ship towards the end of the month. Availability of the high-end dual-1.25GHz model is being pegged at sometime in September. Current Power Mac G4 systems will be reduced in price as follows: 800MHz ($1,299), 933MHz ($1,499) and dual-1GHz ($2,199). Additionally, Apple will introduce a SuperDrive-equipped eMac for $1,499, sources say, and will reduce the price of CD-RW and Combo Drive iMacs by $100 to $1,299 and $1,499, respectively.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    One word for the high end model : Lame

One word for the low end model : Acceptable

Overall impression. Again, one word: YAWN

[ 08-12-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 31
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    i was thinking..........

if the new powermacs are coming out in september [forecasted shipping date]........

wouldn't that mean there's a really low chance of a new powermac [or bigger speedbump] for MWSF '03???

would they release another powermac just 4 months after the previous one?
  • Reply 3 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by badtz:

<strong>i was thinking..........

if the new powermacs are coming out in september [forecasted shipping date]........

wouldn't that mean there's a really low chance of a new powermac [or bigger speedbump] for MWSF '03???

would they release another powermac just 4 months after the previous one?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes. The whole idea that Apple doesn't relaes things as fast as they can make them is the dumbest, most pernicious myth on the internet. The very fact that they are often moreg uilty of annoucing new products and not being able to ship them for 3-4 weeks indicates they are doing they're absolute best to get stuff out as fast as possible.....

If they have something faster in 3 months, they will release it.

Jet
  • Reply 4 of 31
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I think that product would be released whenever it is ready (cost/availibility-wise)

The reason updates have taken so long is because there hasn't been much to update to. If something better is available, then it'll come out as soon as possible thereafter.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    Terrible.......
  • Reply 6 of 31
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    If it has a 166 bus (as the 1.25 would suggest), the combination of the extra bus speed and extra processor speed will make a very nice performance increase. It's not a revolutionary new G5, Power4, or whatever. But it's a good evolutionary step.

If it's got a 333 FSB, we're going to see some very large speed increases. I'm betting against that, but even a 166 with xserve-style DDR will be a tidy boost.

But I'm still pissed about the price increases.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

<strong>One word for the high end model : Lame

One word for the low end model : Acceptable

Overall impression. Again, one word: YAWN

[ 08-12-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Did you really expect anything better, Leonis?
  • Reply 8 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

Did you really expect anything better, Leonis?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I was expecting 1.4 dual

Now with 1.25Ghz top Apple better put a real DDR mobo and 4MB of L3 cache. And DON'T increase the price!

[ 08-12-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 31
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Just what the hell is wrong with a 250 MHz jump for Motorola. That's a 25% increase. Compared to the 8% increase AMD has gotten since January.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    But the price increase just doesn't make any sense
  • Reply 11 of 31
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

<strong>But the price increase just doesn't make any sense</strong><hr></blockquote>

You've got a point there.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    Does any one know what time they are supposed to be announced?
  • Reply 13 of 31
    As far as the price increases not making sense, I beg to differ. Although I agree that Apple's profit margin(selling price vs.cost/unit) is atrociously high, it would seem to be a proportional price increase to me on the two low end models. Adding a second processor for only $100-$200 seems to be a pretty good deal!! Even for the top-end model, I think it's commensurate with the overall cost to Apple during the manufacturing process.

Personally, I'm quite pleased with these yet-to-be-confirmed "leaked" specs. Over twice the effective processing power(theoretically) for only $100 more, I can't(and neither should anyone else, really) complain about that!!

I also beleive that people are too hung up on the numerical "MHz number". The real performance increases are going to come from increased throughput to the processor due to the motherboard redesign.

-Dual 867
  • Reply 14 of 31
    I totally agree with dual 867. If the bus does get pumped to 166 that should make a world of diffrence, Everyone is waiting for the mythical g5 I`m just waiting for a new System arch. witch i understand probably means a new chip but if they can get the bus higher and whatnot on the current g4`s they are one hell of a chip. See if you can dig up some bench`s on the 733 vs the iMac and look at the diffrence the bus makes, I know my computer is loads faster then the dual 500 other then hard drive speed there isnt a whole lot of diffrence in arch, G4 was changed slightly but still. I`m willing to bet that the new dual 1.25`s, if true, will be quite pleasing indeed i would like to see how they compare to the current dual 1GHz`s
  • Reply 15 of 31
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    Yep - biggest misconeption is that the G4's biggest problem is low clock speed compared to Athlons or P4s. Wrong - the biggest problem is the bus speed. The G4 (and this goes double - literally - for dual G4s) is being choked by the 133 MHz bus, and especially the 100 MHz bus (flat panel iMac). If Apple were to release new Macs with nothing improved except bus speeds, you would see a big improvement. The G4s, especially if Alitvec is being used, are capable of pushing many times more data than a 133 MHz bus can handle.

You want a speed increase, look for a faster bus. If rumors are correct, we'll see a 166 MHz bus in the upcoming towers, with double pumped DDR memory at 333 MHz. That alone will make a significant speed difference. Combined with a 250 MHz jump in clock speed, and all the speed increases in Jaguar... prepare to be far more impressed than you figured you would be with a dual 1.25 GHz Power Mac.

Of course what will make a massive difference is IBM's "Power5", with oh, I don't know, a 400 or 500 MHz bus.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    imudimud Posts: 140member
    Ok, so if i have an 800mghz iMac and a 800Mghz PowerMac, the PowerMac is gonna smoke the iMac because of the bus speed and the cache?
  • Reply 17 of 31
    bananabanana Posts: 61member
    You are Apples worst enemy. Get real; get 086.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    Well, at least the Power Mac ought to have a real badass case (all metal, etc.) to justify that sticker price.

If it's the same as the leaked pics, though, well that sucks.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    xiaxinxiaxin Posts: 44member
    the 2-CPU design of the next PowerMac is sweet, since MacOS X can use both CPUs by default. I open OmniWeb, Mozilla, iTunes and Foldings@home at the same time sometimes other application, 2 CPUs will make the whole system more responsive and windows resizing will gain 100% speed gain, hope so, that's great, now, I will leave my Cube upgrading and go to buy the whole new low-end dual-867 PowerMac which is suitable for my daily usage and if there's another 17"-iMac style wide screen available, ya, get one with the new low-end PowerMac and that will be so sweeeet!
  • Reply 20 of 31
    robsterrobster Posts: 256member
    Seems pretty clear to me:

Apple desperatly want the PowerMacs to bwe the best out there, they've succeeded in getting DDR-RAM, faster bus speeds and quality video cards into the machines.

They are still hamstrung by Motorolas crappy processors, but by taking the fastest processors they can get in decent numbers and putting two in each machine to give them that 'workstation' feel, they'll pull enough power to at least keep their heads above water until the new IBM processor hits in early 2003.

Jaguar is the other half of the solution, QE and the multi-threaded (and hopefully now cocoa-written) Finder will combine with the hardware changes to make a formidable system, although we'll still get mocked for low processor speeds...

I'll be interested to see how apple markets dual 1.25ghz CPU's, some clever spin on twice the power or something I guess.

I know it's not what we want, G5 etc... but G5 is only really what Apple will call the next generation whether it's PPC, Power4, Intel, AMD, Sparc or whatever...

I'll be prepared to buy the top end machine, partly because i need it and partly because Apple have obviously tried there hardest to give me what we've been screaming for.

[quote] <hr></blockquote>