Macintosh memory Management

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have all the applications closed in my Mac and still 546 MB of memory are used. Does anyone know how to clean up the memory with other than the Activity Monitor?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    karl kuehnkarl kuehn Posts: 756member
    This is one of those cases where you cannot apply MacOS 9 ideas to MacOS X.

Here is a overwhelming article on the subject.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    If you can still open apps, and there's no performace drop, I'd say it's fine. The OS could just be tying it up somewhere. If it's not hurting the way the computer performs, i wouldn't worry.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I have 1GB of memory and sometimes the computer slows down and the lovely beach ball comes out. I don't understand why, sometimes having no applications open, it only has 100 or 200 MB of free memory.

Quote:

Originally posted by Altivec_2.0

If you can still open apps, and there's no performace drop, I'd say it's fine. The OS could just be tying it up somewhere. If it's not hurting the way the computer performs, i wouldn't worry.

• Reply 4 of 5
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jhonatansc

I have 1GB of memory and sometimes the computer slows down and the lovely beach ball comes out. I don't understand why, sometimes having no applications open, it only has 100 or 200 MB of free memory.

Read the article link posted above.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    ic1maleic1male Posts: 121member
    That's a fascinating article. I just ordered another 1Gb memory today after reading it. Looks like the Window Server is hungry so I'm feeding it more chips ;-)