What are YOU buying in 2005?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well feel free to add 2004 if you want.

Mac-

Likely the second gen iMac G5- That's why I'm very keen on what Apple announces in Sept. I'm likely to be looking at RevB of this model perhaps shipping with Tiger.

Communication-

Next Treo model (610?) I like the idea of the Treo but I want to see a better screen and bluetooth built in.

Software-

Final Cut Pro, Logic Pro 7,Motion,Keynote 2 (hopefully) and Adobe Creative Suite

Input

Wacom Graphire3 6x8, Contour ShuttlePRO v2 and a Canon A-75 Digicam

Audio/Video misc

Keystation Pro 88 plus a tripod for my camcorder.

Ummm no the hard part about paying for all of this stuff. Sure some things will slip but these are future purchases that I'm eyeballing. An unforseen product announcement could change this in a blink. What are some of you looking at opening up the wallet for in the next couple of years. Don't limit yourself.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Already bought a slew of things, no more for me

With you on Creative Suite, Keynote 2 and Logic. Probably Express. Been meaning to pickup the 6x8 Graphire for a while. Have you tried out the Keystation 88? It felt way too heavy to me, as if M-Audio weighed them down just for the hell of it. Comparing the feel to Roland, Korg and Yamaha studio pianos it just didn't feel right. Artificially heavy.

I own two desktop Macs (home and work) so spending is hard to cover both of them. Left my new Tactile Pro at work. This Apple Pro feels mushy and inaccurate by comparison

No new Macs for me unless I will actually use them. I have done nothing with the gear I already have. Spent me a bundle too (at the time), oh.

Also needs to be as quiet as possible. Heard the PMG5 is... then I hear people saying they aren't. Hmm.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Keystation 88 Pro- I've heard it's no Fatar killer but I'm a Sax player looking to tickle some ivories so I know I want 88 keys and portability isn't much of an issue. I'll check out te Fatars as well just to make sure I'm comfortable with my final choice. I love the sliders and knobs on the KsP 88 though.

Ionyz it's interesting that you mention the Tactile Pro. I almost put that on the list because I don't like the currrent Mac keyboards. I think they're too mushy too. I also like that the TP kb supports Dvorak in software. I might give it a try after a while.

Geebus even with Edu discounts I'm still looking at a lot of coin. It's ok though. I'll get FCP and Adobe CS first and then worry about the musical stuff later. By 2006 I hope to get a nice Tenor Sax and have something that resembles a little project studio. I'm interested in checking out the passive Adam ANF-10 monitors since I love a nice crisp but not overbearing high end in music.

Home Stereo- Looking for Samsung or Philips replacement for their direct view 26" widescreen televisions. Currently the Samsung is 699 and I'm hoping they can get that down to around $499(dreaming) to $549(more likely). That will go in my bedroom and I'll use it for a poor mans FCP monitor.

Universal- I'm not replacing my DVD until I can get a universal DVD that plays DVD/DVD-Audio/SACD and has a hdmi connection. GD Sony won't ok HDMI for SACD yet those bastards and they are one of the founding members! I want one link to the TV or receiver. I'm saying NO MORE to cable clutter because some company is afraid to give me digital connections.

Tivo- I'll eventually take the plunge but having a Tivo means I have to have Comcast and I loath giving Comcast money. I may just bump my Netflix account up to 5 or 8 at a time and say screw it and get basic cable for local sports. Hey I can watch Notre Lame on channel 5 every saturday LOL

I need a decent bike as well. God it's been years since I've had one. Much research to do on this as there are so many options my heads spins.

What's with all y'all mute lurkers. Get in here and let me know what you got your eyes on! I've decided that excess is the American way and I need to buy buy buy!! Help the economy...go in debt!
  • Reply 3 of 21
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    I'll be buying Final cut pro 5, the 4th gen ipod, dvd studio pro 3.5, as well as a surprsie product in 2005.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    altivec_2.0altivec_2.0 Posts: 995member
    I'm getting a new PowerMac G5, nice 23" LCD, and some new software, probably invest in Final Cut Pro HD.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

I'll be buying Final cut pro 5, the 4th gen ipod, dvd studio pro 3.5, as well as a surprsie product in 2005.

ipodandimac

Final Cut Pro 5 is going to be an absolute BEAST! Think about this. FCP 4.5 was basically a bug fix and the addition of the DVC PRO HD codec supported over FW. Granted the update was useful for many because of the fixes and price(free) it probably didn't take Apple much to prepare. So my line of thinking is Apple will have roughly 2 years of working on FCP 5 by the time NAB 2005 hits. I bet that FCP 5 is the most kickass implementation of Core Image/Video there is. I'm expecting that those with current G5s will have to struggle to find effects that don't run in realtime. I'm betting that FCP will support the full Core Audio spec. I'm betting that we get sub-pixel rendering and Rendezvous Media Manager for sharing. HDV and AVC support via Quicktime and much better export options. FCP will finally pull away from apps like Premiere Pro and Vegas which match it too closely on a spec sheet. I'll be ready...I hope.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    Hmmmm...Lets see. I have pre-ordered my 20" display, which will probably set up a G5 purchase next year. I will need an upgrade to my digital camera(Sony DSC F717), so I will be getting the Nikon D70 or better if released, and a couple of high quality lenses. I will probably upgrade from PS7 to CS. Will probably get the Macromedia suite (I know!?), perhaps an eMac for my son, and that is all that really comes to mind at the moment....So, there you have it....
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by ijerry

Hmmmm...Lets see. I have pre-ordered my 20" display, which will probably set up a G5 purchase next year. I will need an upgrade to my digital camera(Sony DSC F717), so I will be getting the Nikon D70 or better if released, and a couple of high quality lenses. I will probably upgrade from PS7 to CS. Will probably get the Macromedia suite (I know!?), perhaps an eMac for my son, and that is all that really comes to mind at the moment....So, there you have it....

I'm hearing a lot of good things about the D70. I really want a "real" camera I think the A-75 will hold me over until I know what i'm doing and then I'll move up to something good. By then I'll have a Hi Def TV and can view my photos on screen at a decent resolution. Maybe Apple will have something that plays iPhoto and iTunes files.

My son is only 2 so It'll be a couple more years before he gets a computer. I don't share my computer so he's got to get his own. In ways I wish Apple had a computer that was stripped down to bare networked essentials. No optical drive no CRT. Just a pizza box with enough connections to keep it running. Software installations over the network etc. Perfect computer for a small child or basic needs.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Liquid cooled G5, 30inch display, 100inch Plasma TV, Porsche Carrera GT, and a 35000 sq foot summer cottage. God! I need to take my meds!!!
  • Reply 9 of 21
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I'm hearing a lot of good things about the D70. I really want a "real" camera I think the A-75 will hold me over until I know what i'm doing and then I'll move up to something good. By then I'll have a Hi Def TV and can view my photos on screen at a decent resolution. Maybe Apple will have something that plays iPhoto and iTunes files.

My son is only 2 so It'll be a couple more years before he gets a computer. I don't share my computer so he's got to get his own. In ways I wish Apple had a computer that was stripped down to bare networked essentials. No optical drive no CRT. Just a pizza box with enough connections to keep it running. Software installations over the network etc. Perfect computer for a small child or basic needs.

My good friend just bought one, and I must say that it is mighty impressive, however, you will need a couple of lenses, because you are limited with the lens you get, an example of this is my ability to get a better Macro shot with my standard F717, than he can with his standard D70, but the burst mode alone makes it worth the purchase for me, and the total abilities of the camera never cease to amaze me. Quite impressive.

As for the son sharing the computer, I completely understand the sharing thing, my son currently has a revb iMac G3, but it is not able to run Nanosaur 2, and many other games that he is interested in, so I guess that means an eMac for him, because he is not clogging up my harddrive with that stuff!
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

Liquid cooled G5, 30inch display, 100inch Plasma TV, Porsche Carrera GT, and a 35000 sq foot summer cottage. God! I need to take my meds!!!

Or sell them
  • Reply 11 of 21
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    I've been eyeing the iPod mini for a while now and I'll have a closer look when they reach Canada (which should be very soon by all accounts). I'm also going to going to break down an buy a better keyboard for the G4 and there are a couple of Macally ones which look promising. I'd really like an Apple portable (decent iBook or smaller Powerbook), but that won't be before late next year and will depend on what they have available at the time.

The big ticket item for late this year/next year will be to upgrade the Anti-Mac. Right now an nForce 4/AMD 64 (maybe FX)/SLI capable (but just one Gx card to start)/Lian Li DIY box is the frontrunner. Should be a sweet lil setup.

Cheers,

C.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Now I have tried a portable life, I dunno if I want to go back to a desktop.. so if I keep going this way.. I would love to get in 2005 -

15" G5 powerbook .... (dual core, 2 ghz, 2gb ram, 512mb vram, sata 7200rpm, 160gb hdd real 6 hr battery life etc (+20" cinema display I guess for when desking))

3xxD rev 2 canon (with the functions its missing that my EOS50N has !)

5x0 pioneer hdd recorder with bigger hd and h264 support

Unfort I still need the $$ to get it all of all prob the pbook update (heheh those specs would be nice!) is the only one likely(ish) at this stage.. *sighs*
  • Reply 13 of 21
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

FCP will finally pull away from apps like Premiere Pro and Vegas which match it too closely on a spec sheet. I'll be ready...I hope.

dont forget about distributed network rendering (for FINAL renders )
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Motion
  • Reply 15 of 21
    vwguyvwguy Posts: 7member
    The only thing that I will probably buy next year will be Tiger. I'm happy with my current computer - a 17" iMac 800. I've had it a little over a year and a half, so it still has quite a bit of life left in it.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

dont forget about distributed network rendering (for FINAL renders )

and maybe they could include a few render licenses as well as software to render FCP stuff on all of the windows/linux boxes on the network....
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

and maybe they could include a few render licenses as well as software to render FCP stuff on all of the windows/linux boxes on the network....

Hmmm makes you wonder why they came out with Rendezvous for windows huh

Quote:

Right now an nForce 4/AMD 64 (maybe FX)/SLI capable (but just one Gx card to start)/Lian Li DIY box is the frontrunner. Should be a sweet lil setup.

No doubt. My next PC will be an AMD system. Probably a nForce 4 and I'm interested in the SLI stuff too. Softimage XSI 4 is edu $295 I'll probably grab a version before I'm out of school. That app is $7k full price...ahhh dreams of creating keyed backgrounds for video excite me but that's a ways away.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison:

No doubt. My next PC will be an AMD system. Probably a nForce 4 and I'm interested in the SLI stuff too. Softimage XSI 4 is edu $295 I'll probably grab a version before I'm out of school. That app is $7k full price...ahhh dreams of creating keyed backgrounds for video excite me but that's a ways away.

Nice...

Do you know if that copy of Softimage is Foundation, Essentials or Advanced? Either way, for $295... you can't pass that up. I don't know if you cought the latest blurb on the nForce 4 specs but from a Price/Performance standpoint it's quickly shaping up to be the motherboard to beat. Let's hope Apple is paying attention here...

Cheers,

C.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Concord

Nice...

Do you know if that copy of Softimage is Foundation, Essentials or Advanced? Either way, for $295... you can't pass that up. I don't know if you cought the latest blurb on the nForce 4 specs but from a Price/Performance standpoint it's quickly shaping up to be the motherboard to beat. Let's hope Apple is paying attention here...

Cheers,

C.

It's Advanced. Sorry left that out and that's important seeing as there's a big difference in price. I believe Advanced is like $7k right?

nForce 4 is looking good. I think Apple is going to make me happy with their next Powermac mobo. I'm betting money they support DDR2 667 right from the gate seeing as how Anandtech just proved that pretty much even the bargain DDR2 memory modules can run at that speed. Other than that I can't even guess what Apple might add beyond PCI Express.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison:

It's Advanced. Sorry left that out and that's important seeing as there's a big difference in price. I believe Advanced is like $7k right?

Wow. Actually Advanced is more like $9K when last I looked... That's an unbelievable deal - go get it!

Cheers!

C.