G4 PB not shutting down

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My G4 PowerBook has just had a shiny new hard drive as the other one blew....the new one now has panther installed and after reinstalling all my software including Office X it now will not shut down without me holding down the power key.

If I have not opened any Office applications it brings up a screen telling me to restart otherwise I just have to hold down the power key.

I haven't yet gone as far as to install much else apart from DSL software and messenger...what could be causing this??? And do any of you smarty-pants know how to resolve it?

\

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    The screen telling you to restart is a kernel panic, which is the operating system realizing that things are so far gone that there's nothing to do but crash and restart (the kernel is the heart of the operating system). Kernel panics are almost always symptoms of hardware problems or corruption of crucial system files. Back up your stuff, reformat and reinstall and see if that takes care of whatever went awry. If not, then there's probably something funny about the drive, or maybe the cable connecting it into the board isn't plugged in?

Since this is a support question, moving to Genius Bar.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Yep, you have a kernel panic. I agree, best thing to do is back up your files and erase and install the os. Remember, it is best to do an all zero format . Once you install your OS, test the unit for any kernel panics. if it still does it, then you have an hardware issue. Hopefully it was just a bad install. Good luck,

btw, I hope you practiced ESD safety when installing the new HD.

MacDuneRaver