its a Set-Top Box w/hardrive and wireless firewire...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
that's what it is.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    What what is?
  • Reply 2 of 19
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Is wireless firewire an oxymoron?
  • Reply 3 of 19
    cobracobra Posts: 253member
    The words "set top box" give me a serious case of the creeps. :eek:

I hate that phrase. :eek:
  • Reply 4 of 19
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Why? So you can play your Quicktime movies on the TV? Or your iMovies?

So wait....this would be an improvement over what? A DVD? nah

I'd rather have an iMac at like 1599 with a superdrive and just carry my DVD to the TV set. Knowing Apple a set top box would probably be 699 or something. I could get the Pioneer DVD-R drive and a cheap dvd player for less than that!
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Curious.

Here's what that drudge wannabe Leo Bairn posted at the time of MWNY:

10/22/2001, 12:31 a.m. (Central U.S. Time)- Have now received indication that previously reported new breed of Apple computer

not due for release until Spring 2002.

Coming this Tuesday: Component for stereo systems. Connects to stereo as would a CD player. Mac owners use iTunes to purchase

music and/or download music for free. The Mac wirelessly sends the downloaded music to the stereo component using Airport.

This leverages the following Mac-specific technology: Airport, iTunes, QuickTime, iDisk infrastructure, Mac OS. Ties in to

affluent and thriving marketplace of music enthusiasts, home theatre hobbyists, and traditional "Mac Faithful".

Quote from 100% reliable Apple source: "Jobs won't consider any hardware that won't bring in at least a hundred million bucks

a year."

The strategy was to build up technology in harmless ways. Airport networking in iMacs. iTunes, the cute and small MP3

software. iDisk, the harmless Mac-only iTool. Add all of the baby steps and Apple technology together and Apple has a

commanding technology infrastructure to deploy a true digital hub strategy with no danger of competitors catching up for a

long time - and by then Apple will be even farther ahead.

Jobs expected to say things like: Apple has a full eighteen months on everybody. Current poor PC market and price wars makes

this an even better time for Apple to gain marketshare by true innovation as other companies simply try to lower prices for

the same old machines. As Dell is using R&D to figure out how to make the same computers cheaper, Apple is adding value and

actual new capabilities to their systems. Another example, although Dell has computers with wireless networking, their

wireless is merely some other company's wireless card thrown in a Dell computer - because that's the cheapest solution.

Because Apple actually makes Airport, they have the knowledge and experience to start using Airport in their own devices.

Analysts expected to praise Apple's vertical integration - while every PC company is on a different page, Apple, which makes

the whole widget, can do something like this in just eighteen months. Even if imitators pop up eventually, Apple's system will

truly be the only one that "just works" (another anticipated Jobs-ism).

As of Tuesday night Apple will be the world's largest internet music distribution service *and* they will have created a whole

new category of multimedia hardware.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Yeah he also staked his whole reputation and the reputation of his website on the iWalk being introduced.

Please, it was clearly a fake.

I think this kid is a schmuck.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by Willoughby:

<strong>Yeah he also staked his whole reputation and the reputation of his website on the iWalk being introduced.

Please, it was clearly a fake.

I think this kid is a schmuck.</strong><hr></blockquote>

This kid is a BIG schmuck. But it was still innerestin'...
  • Reply 8 of 19
    I've heard this set top box idea mentioned a couple of times before more recently than ever even though the reincarnation of an apple set top box has been a sort of everlasting rumor that looms in the background [http://www.exn.ca/Stories/1998/03/11/60.asp]... Apple has done it before as some already know [http://www.aventure-apple.com/flops/settopbox.html (sorry it's in french but it does have pictures)] and i think they have learned... besides what exactly is so revolutionary about another set top box... I just don't think it very likely to happen.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    what might sell....

An mpeg4/quicktime based video recorder.

- maybe like 2 hrs of digital video on a $.50 cd-r(700Mb)

- or like 12 hrs on a $10 dvd-r(4700Mb)

- or 200 hrs on a 80 GB hardrive

perhaps capture to hardrive, then allow remote transfer via a superdrive. Hell patch into your cable/ethernet and allow sharing of a selected directory. You could probably allow up to 10 designated users/friends and still fall under a 'fair use' system. your already paying a surcharge on all recordable media to counterbalance piracy.... you might as well pirate something.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by havanas:

<strong>what might sell....

- or 200 hrs on a 80 GB hardrive

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I guess it follows.

iPod was sold as "revolutionary", though MP3 players were common at introduction. The revolution was the approach to the product and its obvious highly integrated hooks into Apple technologies.

So now Apple will introduce their own version of TiVo in the guise of their new all-in-one (formerly known as the "iMac"), utilizing the now ready to roll QT5+ with MPEG4, G4s to handle all the video processing, and perhaps SuperDrives for permanent storage. While TiVo was pretty much below the radar screens of most Joe Six-pack consumers, perhaps Apple plans to move a lot of units with a reasonably priced consumer media player - it doesn't have to connect to your TV, cause it has it's own screen. And if you want to use it as a computer I guess it has a wireless keyboard and mouse which you can keep out of view cause there isn't any wires...

Apple's maximum hype drive that's on full throttle right now is an attempt to eclipse whatever Gates intros at Comdex (a-tablet-choo!) the week after...
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Ahh.. no, they won't announce that.. Apple isn't Sony yet, and there's a really small majority of people who would actually buy that.. but things like the iPod (my wife got me one for Christmas, and I gave her one for her birthday) would give them practice on branching out..

It's probably best to think of what's coming in terms of you and I being general people, not super mac geeks surfing AI.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by canadianmacguy:

<strong>Ahh.. no, they won't announce that.. Apple isn't Sony yet, and there's a really small majority of people who would actually buy that.. but things like the iPod (my wife got me one for Christmas, and I gave her one for her birthday) would give them practice on branching out..

It's probably best to think of what's coming in terms of you and I being general people, not super mac geeks surfing AI.</strong><hr></blockquote>

So what's so super Mac geeky here? The TiVo (or the concept or digitally recording broadcase signals) is an idea whose time has come. But TiVo's user base is pretty small, compared to the venerable VCR. The killer appliance is clearly digital video recording.

<a href="http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-8291024.html?tag=ch_mh"; target="_blank">Recent TiVo news item</a>

I don't think you need to be a Mac user to understand this. Apple has also shown they can create a device that doesn't require the MacOS to still be user-friendly. Apple already has the required subscriber on-line infrastructure in place in the guise of iDisk/iTools.

Wishful thinking perhaps, but not out-and-out unlikely as you might characterize it...

(BTW: I too am another Apple crazed Canuck)
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Digital lifestyle HUB.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    About Tivo, the future of recording is DVD recorders. I just saw one at Circuit City. It works just like a VCR only better. This is what people want and will accept as a replacement for VCRs ( you can permantly keep what you record that's why Tivo doesn't have a large user base ). The price now is $949.00 in one year that will be $500.00 in two $250.00. When it reaches that price point ....bye, bye VCR ( and probably Tivo as well ).

Anyone who doubts me about VCRs just try looking at a VCR picture on a HDTV. I did and now I want to put my eyes out. SVHS is acceptable but with the coming of HDTV, VCRs ( and tape ) will be unacceptable. Thank you for listening and now back to MWSF speculation.

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: jimmac ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 19
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Perhaps they've got 'Paper' resolutions screens, Raycer Graphics, etc
  • Reply 16 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by havanas:

<strong>what might sell....

- or 200 hrs on a 80 GB hardrive</strong><hr></blockquote>

Those things all sound nice, but let's look at your numbers.... you're talking about 2 hours of full-screen DV on a CDR disc?

Let's see... 650mb CDR data capacity divided by 7200 seconds (that's 120 minutes) means a DV stream compressed something like 50:1 ON TOP OF the compression of normal DV. It would be a totally unrecognizable blur of ugly JPEG-like compression artifacts!

If they could come up with a set top box with DVD_R drive that gave you 2 hours recording time on a single-sided, single-layer DVD_R blank, that would be revolutionary enough.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    True i probably was a bit too optimistic with those figures.

<a href="http://www4.tomshardware.com/video/01q4/011022/flask4.1-05.html"; target="_blank">Here they say about 65 minutes of 720 x 576 video can be stored on a cd-r using mpeg4</a>

That would be about 455 minutes if a dvd-r where used. If you used a lower resolution such as 640x480 you could probably get that in the 8 hour range.

[quote]Originally posted by sizzle chest:

<strong>

If they could come up with a set top box with DVD_R drive that gave you 2 hours recording time on a single-sided, single-layer DVD_R blank, that would be revolutionary enough.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Though expensive, consumer dvd-recorders already exist. Check this out: <a href="http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/CDA/Industrial/IndustrialProductDetails/0,1444,20923,00.html""; target="_blank">Pioneer DVR-7000</a>

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: havanas ]</p>
  • Reply 18 of 19
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    The whole business with Macs is the ability to use them without being a nut-case for the particular technologies involved. I find it hard to believe, but I have actually used my iPod, loading it up with great things from Japanese CDs, Opera, the Stones, and a ton of other things . I even created an Enya playlist after I saw LOTR. But the key was I could do it on a Cube, on a Japanese iBook600, my worthy G3 Pismo, and on an iMac. Now that is something!
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Cisco has G3,G4,G5, processors slated for their routers. Motorola is one of the largest manufacturers of set top boxes in the world.

the infrastructure is in place. it would just require a company bold enough to think different.

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: killboy ]</p>