Video To My Mac.....Is It Possible??

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey everyone,

I'm hoping this can be done somehow because I can't buy the material I have, on DVD.

I want to run video from my VCR into my Mac G5 so I can load it into iMovie, encode it and burn it to DVD. Is this possible and what would I need to do it.

If I require any hardware or software, which I assume I will, can you list the approximate pricing, and where I could find this stuff?

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    If you have a digital camcorder then you can just hook up your VCR to that and import into iMovie while playiing on your VCR....Make sense??! Good!8)
  • Reply 2 of 5
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    What if you don't have a firewire camera (and no PCI slots)? Firewire digitisers seem to be rather expensive.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

What if you don't have a firewire camera (and no PCI slots)? Firewire digitisers seem to be rather expensive.

trick: get a tv tuner that can encode to mpeg or mpeg 2, thereare a ton availible for windows and there are a few that run on mac.

or if you have a fast peecee, get hte cheapest video capture card from ati/nvides then transfer the mpg files to the mac and burn.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    An EyeTV would do the trick [http://www.elgato.com/]. Since it's just VHS, even the USB version would be fine.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Thanks for the comments folks. I'm looking into a couple of your ideas. I don't have a camcorder at the moment. Take care everyone.