Subtle proof of Firewire2 at MWSF

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Check out Apple's wording on this... from the final cut page.

[quote]a 400Mbps FireWire port that lets you transfer massive amounts of digital video at lightning speed<hr></blockquote>

Does apple always refer to firewire as 400Mbps? Usually its just "lightning fast firewire".

Gigawire == Firewire2 == 800Mbps standard wire firewire, 1600Mbps optical firewire. You heard it here.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Sorry but a simple google search provided the following when you search for "400Mbps Firewire" (using quotes so the words have to be next to each other) and you get:

Results 1 - 10 of about 1,870. Search took 0.20 seconds.

Almost two thousand hits so this isn't exactly unheard of usage.

Now I'm not saying the new 1394b spec wont show up at the show (cause I think it just might make it) but I'm not sure I see the benefit (right now)... Can you point to a single device that is using it (cept for Cisco routers)?

Since I have heard that Cisco is already shipping stuff that has the new spec and people are saying that Cisco is even calling it Gigawire... Someone was going to post a scan of the manual but I haven't seen it yet.

Dave

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: DaveGee ]

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: DaveGee ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 8
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    nothing strange about that.

I've seen them refer to it like that before.

and afterall. there are slower versions of firewire I believe.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Just read a MacWorld article saying the final specifications for IEEE1394.b have been or will shortly be finalized. It should be compatible with the current spec. but existing machines would be limited to the transfer speeds of the old spec.

If I buy a low end tower, then the new IEEE1394.b is implemented in the next revision(s) of PowerMacs, iMacs, etc. what is the chance a PCI card adapter for this new spec. will be made available by third party vendors?

I guess what I'm asking is whether the PCI connection would be fast enough to handle the projected speeds of the new IEEE1394.b specificaiton?

Sometime near the end of the year I plan on buying a digital video camcorder and believe they will begin implementing the new spec.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    LOL. Try type "800Mbps Firewire" in Google and press "I´m feeling lucky" and see the result.

And look at the date of the article. Three years later and we´re saying the same "just around the corner.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    DDP

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: Anders ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 8
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Here are the first two scentences of Apple's firewire page:

"FireWire is one of the fastest peripheral standards ever developed. Transferring data at up to 400Mbps, FireWire delivers more than 30 times the bandwidth of the popular USB peripheral standard."

Of all the places to look...
  • Reply 7 of 8
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Regardless, the latest MacWorld magazine said that the latest spec. should be completed by the time the article hit the newstand.

My question still stands? Can the PCI bus handle the transfer speeds for the new spec?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    FireWire IS getting a little old. I wish that the G4 iMac was the first one to show this amazing new tech, but it wasn't. Oh well. The new Power Mac then, be it gigahertz G4 or G5! With FireWire 2! Or whatever they will call it.