Allmusic.com pimping IE..this is BS!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Allmusic

One of my favorite sites has just sold out in a big

way. I like the site redesign but someone tell me why

in 2004 we still have this partisan platform garbage.

Quote:

Notice: You are accessing allmusic.com with a browser that is not currently supported. The appearance and functionality of the site could be impacted. allmusic.com is optimized for Internet Explorer 5.5 and above for Windows.

My response to this follows below. This cannot go unchecked people. We fought this nasty side effect of the Browser Wars before and we must continue to fight. Go to this link and by golly let these fools have it! Let them know that pandering to MS technology isn't going to be taken lightly. We will not let them co-opt the Internet for their own gain.

Here is their feedback link

Obviously you don't place a high value on your uses. Your site disrespect a potential 25 Million Mac users, 20+ Million Linux users and probably 30+ Million Windows users who prefer not to use the more insecure Internet Explore browser in lie of mozilla based browser. Yes the "value" you place on your users is very evident. Web design today is based on W3c standards yet you seem to have deftly eschewed these standard in creating your site. Why? Your actions are speaking far louder than your words. Please try harder to synchronize them in the future. Thanks.

Please post your response here below. It won't take you long at all but you will send a vital message to allmusic and others who wish to speak from both corners of their mouths.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Come'on ye damn lurkers. It's your duty!! Let the rage and invective take hold. Click that link and vent! Say it loud

"I'm NOT a second class netizen" let your voice be heard!
  • Reply 2 of 11
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    Must have done something, as I can not seem to connect from either of your links.....using Firefox on a PC
  • Reply 3 of 11
    That is pretty dumb.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Ugh.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    Well, www.allmusic.com gives me a

Error 2 Timeout.

It is truly optimised for IE and IIS.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    I wrote them, though, I don't know how coherent it was....here it is...

I cannot believe that a company would limit its ability to reach as many customers as possible and instead alienate them by using de-facto standards in lieu of common sense and proper research for a standard approach to the web and those that access it. Obviously, those of us that prefer not to use internet explorer are not good enough for your precious re-design. Actually, truth be told, you have made your decision, and have fun sleeping in the bed at Redmond! You think this is the way to go, then you have just lost me and many others forever as potential customers, great job! Keep up the great work! The ignorance your company has held in front of my face is enough for me to realize that there is no use in ever coming back as you are a lost cause, which amounts to a loss of revenue for you. My breath and energy has been wasted in writing this to you, as you don't care what I say since I am not using the worst web-browser, internet explorer.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

We apologize for the temporary connection delay.

Please click the refresh button on your browser.

This is on my PC @ work with WinXP with IE 6. Way to go with the optimization .

Dave.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ijerry

I wrote them, though, I don't know how coherent it was....here it is...

I cannot believe that a company would limit its ability to reach as many customers as possible and instead alienate them by using de-facto standards in lieu of common sense and proper research for a standard approach to the web and those that access it. Obviously, those of us that prefer not to use internet explorer are not good enough for your precious re-design. Actually, truth be told, you have made your decision, and have fun sleeping in the bed at Redmond! You think this is the way to go, then you have just lost me and many others forever as potential customers, great job! Keep up the great work! The ignorance your company has held in front of my face is enough for me to realize that there is no use in ever coming back as you are a lost cause, which amounts to a loss of revenue for you. My breath and energy has been wasted in writing this to you, as you don't care what I say since I am not using the worst web-browser, internet explorer.

This is great stuff. It's definitely on point. I'm surprised people are timing out. I wouldn't be suprised to find out they're getting slammed by responses. I left IE for a reason. I got tired of the missing features(tabs, popup blocking) and the hijacking that seems so easy with IE. Been on Firefox and loving every minute and when I get my next mac it'll be Omniweb and Safari.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    A couple years back I had this happen with a site I regularly viewed with Netscape http://www.yesasia.com. I was a bit pissed and I sent them feedback in the most polite way I could. I was shocked as hell when I got a swift reply and the site functioned perfectly with Netscape the next day. Some companies probably are not aware of the impact their site designers decisions can have and they *do* want your business so they may go to some decent lengths to satisfy you. I think the key is to be polite but firm.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    I love how HTML 4 pretty much works in all browsers, But the designers feel that whiz bang is cool. I can't influence them that simple and universal is good. I have the ultimate workaround though, I have the loudest protest of all and they never even have to hear.

I spend my money elsewhere.

Pretty original eh? :-)

Sooner or later it still doesn't matter ...
  • Reply 11 of 11
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Remember reading about this over at the Web Standards Project. When I visited AMG I'd get a connection refused, later on Safari would take forever to connect and eventually load the page using MSIE6 as its user-agent string. Finally it works without problem.

AMG must have got enough complaints to change things. As a web developer I really dislike some sites placing the "Best Viewed by" info. What's the point? Some browsers will have problems on the site, others won't. You draw attention to yourself when you output this on the page. Its very 90s, nonetheless.

No need to harp on web standards, most these "professional" developers don't care. If it works in IE for Windows, thats enough. Besides what's a MAC?